Autumn

P J

Dizzy, the piece that Algy posted regarding the depth of field on images is spot on, the lower the fstop number the more open the aperture which gives a very shallow depth of field meaning anything outside this area will be out of focus. You must remember to set your focus on the main object you wish to be sharp by half depressing the shutter,when the camera has focussed keep the shutter half depressed then compose the image you want. Then fully press the shutter and hey presto. An aperture of f3.4 should let you achieve a really shallow depth of field and blur out a lot of the background.

When I'm walking with my camera I usually have it in aperture priority mode and set to f8 as this is a relatively central setting. Its not a rule or anything just one of my preferences.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes your memory does serve you right Algy but I seem to remember it was actually you who made us paranoid by mentioning the 'snogging' :shock::lol:

Code Z3 Sadako.. paper removed from crack again and coast clear. Giant slipper on and subject temporarily immobilised :wink::lol:

Yes your memory does serve you right Algy but I seem to remember it was actually you who made us paranoid by mentioning the 'snogging' :shock::lol:

Code Z3 Sadako.. paper removed from crack again and coast clear. Giant slipper on and subject temporarily immobilised :wink::lol:

What crack? :unsure::lol: :lol: :lol:

Dizzy, the piece that Algy posted regarding the depth of field on images is spot on, the lower the fstop number the more open the aperture which gives a very shallow depth of field meaning anything outside this area will be out of focus. You must remember to set your focus on the main object you wish to be sharp by half depressing the shutter,when the camera has focussed keep the shutter half depressed then compose the image you want. Then fully press the shutter and hey presto. An aperture of f3.4 should let you achieve a really shallow depth of field and blur out a lot of the background.

When I'm walking with my camera I usually have it in aperture priority mode and set to f8 as this is a relatively central setting. Its not a rule or anything just one of my preferences.

Sorry PJ, I only just spotted your post :oops:

Re the low fstop and setting the focus (half press which I always use anyway) that's what I've been doing and it just doesn't seem give the same blurring that you get.

I've just reset my camera back to it's factory settings as there are so many different menus and variants it might just be I've set/unset something daft :unsure:

Sorry PJ, I only just spotted your post :oops:

Re the low fstop and setting the focus (half press which I always use anyway) that's what I've been doing and it just doesn't seem give the same blurring that you get.

I've just reset my camera back to it's factory settings as there are so many different menus and variants it might just be I've set/unset something daft :unsure:

I know what you mean Dizz, I've been experimenting with my new camera (I'm not supposed to as Mrs algy thinks it's gone to Father Xmas) and it is certainly more complex than my other compact. :blink:

Algy, I love your yellow rose. I took some fantastic floral pictures in my garden with just my little digital point and click camera. Unfortunately they are all on the laptop that died. :cry:

Cleo, you could have recovered all the folders, Files and information from your hard drive, its only a mega dvd anyway!. :shock:

Dizzy,

Algy vacated. Coast is clear, crack is clear and stool has been moved into the correct position. Make sure you check his holes for your next instruction (it's by his wood near the fire place)

I have no objection to you messing about with cracks but please leave my holes out of it, thank you!. :roll:

PS. just what is the correct position for a stool. :unsure:

How would I set about that then algy? :unsure:

You could do it yourself there are many sites that explain how to do it, however unless you or your husband are technically minded in computer technology take the failed laptop/desktop and your working laptop to a reputable computer repair shop where they will connect up the two hard drives via a data cable, obviously obtain a quote for the transfer rather than carting the two laptops down there and finding that it would be too costly.

you could of course go down the cheaper route and buy a 3.5" USB hard drive adapter, plug it in, go to "My Computer" and it should show up as drive D or similar. Then just search the hard drive using the *.jpg command and copy them all over to a new folder on your main hard drive

you could of course go down the cheaper route and buy a 3.5" USB hard drive adapter, plug it in, go to "My Computer" and it should show up as drive D or similar. Then just search the hard drive using the *.jpg command and copy them all over to a new folder on your main hard drive

The only problem there Baz is that if the knackered laptop has no power you have to purchase a power pack and cable to drive the hard drive as well as a special hd to hd data cable and they don't come cheap, also I would think it's not just .jpg files Cleos attempting to recover. :unsure:

No you don't Algy and what Baz says is absolutely right and they are not expensive as I nealy bought one last year. I think it was about £25 but you can get them a lot cheaper.

It doesn't rely on power from your broken laptop/pc as you just unplug and physically take the hard drive out of your broken laptop/pc and slot it into the adaptor which then in turn plugs into a USB port on your working pc/laptop. It then works in exactly the same way as a pen drive or external hard drive does. Cheap to buy and very easy to use.

I suppose you could liken it to taking the memory card out of your camera and plugging it into the card reader on your pc if that makes more sense.

Of course if it's the actual hard drive itself that went in Cleo's laptop then she's buggered and all her stuff will probably be gone anyway.

Dizz, I'm sure you still need to power up the HD from the damaged computer to rotate the disc/discs or it can't be read by the HD you are transferring the data to!, but you are correct in that you only require the one cable and adaptor combined.

Here's a site that explains the process Cleo:-

http://www.squidoo.com/how-do-i-get-files-and-pictures-off-my-old-laptop

The adapter cables cost about £25 from that on line shop that is named after a South American river, well were not supposed to advertise are we Dizz. :wink::D :grin:

Pretend you havn't seen the link below. :wink::D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bipra-SATA-Adapter-Power-Drive/dp/B001A5SK56/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0/275-2914203-7535454

What you need to find out is what size and type the hard drive in the laptop is.

Usually laptop hard drives are 2.5"

Then you need to find out if it is a sata drive or not this may depend on the age of the laptop

most laptops tend to be 2.5" sata.

then all you should need to do is buy a 2.5" sata enclosure, remove the hard drive from the broken pc and install it into the enclosure attach to the working laptop via the usb cable provided and you should then be able to read the old had drive, Power for the hard drive is usually through the usb cable.

If it is an ide had drive you can still do this but you need to buy an enclosure that supports ide drives.

i did this a few months back with a hard drive out of an old dvd recorder and now have a portable had drive. Cost me just under £10.00 for the enclosure