P J

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The trees near morrisons the other week... lovely colours

IMG_7112.jpg

and this was growing in the flower bed under the trees all on it's own... a little red 'rose'

IMG_7121-1.jpg

and some others I've taken when walking along our road this week just to bore you ...

IMG_7055.jpg

IMG_7043.jpg

IMG_7924.jpg

IMG_7895.jpg

IMG_7754.jpg

The last one was taken in the daylight and I think I had my (TV) shutter speed set to 1/2000 and my flash on... did I PJ or was it the AV I'd set. You can tell can't you :D:oops:

I cant tell Dizzy sorry, but it was 1/2000 sec and iso 200, the focal distance was very small at 5mm and aperture large at f4. That's if your exif is correct

ps. you may want to switch to auto white balance instead of manual :wink:

pps. there are some lovely shots there Dizzy

Cheers PJ... I'll start another topic later asking you to explain all about focal distances , my large aperture (which I thought was small), and this auto white balance stuff rather than taking over this topic. :blink::lol:

I love your second pic which I've only just seen. What were your camera setting set at please :D

PS I just deleted some of mine as I hadn't realised how many I uploaded. :oops:

Cheers PJ... I'll start another topic later asking you to explain all about focal distances , my large aperture (which I thought was small), and this auto white balance stuff rather than taking over this topic. :blink::lol:

I love your second pic which I've only just seen. What were your camera setting set at please :D

PS I just deleted some of mine as I hadn't realised how many I uploaded. :oops:

Thanks again Dizzy, I was in aperture priority mode (Av on a Canon). Iso 125, f8, 1/320 sec., 64mm focal length. Hope this helps.

yer just showing off now :wink::D

PS. Thanks for the info and I just found 'white balance' on my menus. When I'm in AV I can set the 'F' and the ISO manually but it auto choses the shutter speed to match. How do I set the focal length or is that auto too :blink:

I'll give it a try but where's the blummin' sun gone !!

If all else fails I'll just give you my camera and you can take my pics for me in future :lol:

your focal length is basically how much you zoom in or out,the bigger the number the longer the lens/amount of zoom. In Av you set the f/stop(aperture) and the camera sets the rest, in Tv mode you set the shutter speed and the camera does the rest. They are semi auto settings and I use them a lot.

And a very nice so called 'scrape' it was too PJ :wink::lol:

How the bloody hell do you do that ? Infact don't answer..... next pic please :D

Dizz, lovey pics especially like the shot of the old fence with ladybirds.

Heres a tip on how PJ took the photos with sharp detail and blurred background, it explains it far better than I could, basically down to aperture settings.

How to Use Camera Aperture to Blur Backgrounds

One of a photographer's biggest headaches can come from distracting and unruly backgrounds as a result of the wrong camera aperture. You may have the perfect subject or portrait all set up, but find that a tree is growing out of your model's head. One of the best ways to combat this problem - and at the same time create a dramatic effect - is to blur the background using the right aperture setting.

Set Your Camera

Set your camera at "A" or Aperture priority mode. The basic rule here is the wider your aperture or the lower your f-number is, the shallower the depth of field. This will result in a very blurred background, but a sharp subject. In most cameras, the lens aperture range from f/1.8 to f/22. Set your aperture to f/1.8 for the most blurred background effect. Check your shutter speed if this will yield favorable results.

If you find that the image will be over-exposed due to such a wide aperture, adjust accordingly. You will find that up to an aperture setting of f/5.6, you can still achieve a blurred background. It may be a little sharper than images taken with an f/1.8 aperture, but you will still get the results you prefer.

Thanks Algy.

Mmmm That's exactly what PJ has often told me to do and he says he uses F8 on his apeture settings a lot. He's probably sick to death of me now and I'm suprised he's not stormed round to mine to smash my camera to bits :lol:

I keep trying it and was convinced I was doing it wrong as my backgrounds still don't particularly blur but from what that says I am doing it right. PJ will be proud of me, well he would be if it worked

I noticed in that it says 'most cameras have an aperture range from f/1.8 to f/22'

Mine only goes from f/3.4 to f/8 :unsure:

Ahh maybe I need to use F3.4 if F8 on my cameras highest one.

Out of interest what range does yours have ?

Thanks Algy.

Mmmm That's exactly what PJ has often told me to do and he says he uses F8 on his apeture settings a lot. He's probably sick to death of me now and I'm suprised he's not stormed round to mine to smash my camera to bits :lol:

I keep trying it and was convinced I was doing it wrong as my backgrounds still don't particularly blur but from what that says I am doing it right. PJ will be proud of me, well he would be if it worked

I noticed in that it says 'most cameras have an aperture range from f/1.8 to f/22'

Mine only goes from f/3.4 to f/8 :unsure:

Ahh maybe I need to use F3.4 if F8 on my cameras highest one.

Out of interest what range does yours have ?

Dizz you can also use macro zoom with a similar afect!.