Care Homes?

observer

I'd like to believe you and sincerely hope that that is the case. However, given the abuse of babies/toddlers that occasionally make the headlines, one wonders what actually gets done to sort problems out, as it keeps happening.

I guess the big question is, how do you pick a good home to put your dear ones in?

I know a person who has recently started work in a care home who was thrown in at the deep end with no qualifications or experience whatsoever.He started his first 12 hour night shift there having been told there were 3 people on the shift...it turned out there was him & an agency carer ,but because he was employed by the home it could have meant he was in charge if anything had gone wrong.The 3rd person has still not materialised after nearly a month. All in all not very good at giving care homes a good name .

I know a person who has recently started work in a care home who was thrown in at the deep end with no qualifications or experience whatsoever.He started his first 12 hour night shift there having been told there were 3 people on the shift...it turned out there was him & an agency carer ,but because he was employed by the home it could have meant he was in charge if anything had gone wrong.The 3rd person has still not materialised after nearly a month. All in all not very good at giving care homes a good name .

Then he has to decide if he wants to be the one to take the flak or to report the issues to the authorities and lose his job

This should be reported immediately.

On joining my present company, I had to undertake six weeks of intensive training, 08.00 until 18.00 most days.

Then I had four weeks of supervised, on-the-job training before being allowed to work with a client on my own.

Since then, I have had some form of extra training at least once a month for the entire six years I have been there.

This was in addition to the NVQ in Health and Social Care.

I have to repeat that it is only the failures that ever get reported in the media.

I must aso add that we are not catering for "senior citizens", it is for all adult ages who have sustained a brain injury.