Disappearing car doors

asperity

That looks about as stable as me Sid after I've had my two pints. :P

I've just run through the videos again and yes, it does seems a great idea if you don't mind the affects on the appearance. I’d love something like that because my doors are so flippin big, I have to look for double spaces or exit like a contortionist and I wouldn't be so sure about removing the central pillar on a car with a solid glass roof.

My son drives an RX8 and they have no central pillar either. One regular door at the front and a smaller "suicide" door at the rear which makes getting in and out of the back really easy and because the car was designed this way, the structural rigidity isn't compromised.

Bill :)

I think I'll stick to what I've got thanks as I dread to think how much one of those doors would cost to replace if it ever went wrong or was damaged in an accident.

Not only that but if it was pouring down with rain you'd be opening up the whole side of the car to get in and out so surely it would all get soaked inside and unlike a normal car door you couldn't just jump in quickly and close with a quick slam.

And.... not sure I like the idea of opening up the whole side every time I got in or out as surely that would allow 'others' to jump in too it they fancied a free ride or a bit of hijacking.

I'll stop now and wont mention all my other 'what ifs' as I realise paranoia and my overactive mind are on a role anow nd need to be stopped :oops::lol:

As for the bike Evils... I love the lights and the moulded look. That's cool but blimey it looks uncomfortable and not very safe to ride.

How on earth does it go around corners with wheels that wide and static looking :unsure:

I'm happy to have a quick go on the back if you ever get one though as long as you go in a straight line :wink:

never watched tron then, does 90 degree turns at high speed :wink:

Don't think the tires are that wide but it does handle like a three legged pig on the corners by the look of it. Just for posing on really.

if you have ever watched american chopper they have very wide back tires yet seem to handle well though, at least in gentle corners not so sure about tight ones though.

If you really want a go on the back of a bike It could be arranged, have a spare helmet 8)

With a door design like that it's going to be very difficult to make them structurally rigid enough to provide protection from side impact crashes.

......it'd also mean you wouldn't be able to simply open your door when a lycra lout is queue jumping at the lights and knock him off, you'd have to settle for opening the window an throwing your hot coffee out into his face!

• Upvote 1

never watched tron then, does 90 degree turns at high speed :wink:

Don't think the tires are that wide but it does handle like a three legged pig on the corners by the look of it. Just for posing on really.

if you have ever watched american chopper they have very wide back tires yet seem to handle well though, at least in gentle corners not so sure about tight ones though.

If you really want a go on the back of a bike It could be arranged, have a spare helmet 8)

Unfortuantely the likes of American Chopper and OCC choppers and all it's side shows since Paul Snr and Paul Jnr fell out are often on in our house as my other half is obsessed with old motor bikes and choppers (not that he has either cos I wont let him). Most of the choppers look very uncomfortable to ride but do look cool though.

I might take a rain check on your offer of a ride on the back of your bike though just incase I've ever offended you on here and you are just trying to get your own back on me :unsure::wink::lol:

If the cars been designed that way then and meets the safety regulations then it shouldn't be a problem but modifying one that isn't, well that sounds a bit iffy to me. Even so I'd bet the disappearing door offers more protection than some of the small biscuit box Citrons. :shock:

Bill :)