The law is an ass

asperity

BBC

It seems you can commit GBH and get away with a fine or community service, but interfere with the University Boat Race and you get prison time. Aren't the prisons supposed to be overcrowded already without nonsense judgements like this?

• Upvote 1

Me too and the bloke is lucky to be alive. Shame one of the oars didn't wack him on the head to knock some sense into him rather than taxpayers having to pay for his stupidity.

I'm still giggling about your reply tara_dad as I now have image in my head of a load muscly blokes in shorts sat in a skinny boat frantically flicking silt in the air screaming 'dig deeper and faster I think we just moved an inch but not sure in which direction... but we definately moved' :lol::oops:

Me too and the bloke is lucky to be alive. Shame one of the oars didn't wack him on the head to knock some sense into him rather than taxpayers having to pay for his stupidity.

I'm still giggling about your reply tara_dad as I now have image in my head of a load muscly blokes in shorts sat in a skinny boat frantically flicking silt in the air screaming 'dig deeper and faster I think we just moved an inch but not sure in which direction... but we definately moved' :lol::oops:

Australia where fact is stranger than fiction!

Henley on Todd Regatta (Alice Springs).

HenleyOnTodd.jpg

Ok, take another very recent example shown on TV last night where the football yob runs onto the pitch and assaults the goalkeeper on TV. Everyone interviewed agreed he should be banned for life while many others thought that we should go further and send him to jail.

If it cost me a bit of money to send out a message to society that public displays of antisocial behaviour is not tolerable then I think its money well spent.

Bill :)

• Upvote 1

There's a bit of a difference between actual assault and getting in the way of a couple of rowing boats. Where is your sense of proportion Bill? And did the bloke who assaulted the goalkeeper get a prison sentence?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2220421/Chris-Kirkland-attacked-fan-Sheffield-Wednesday-v-Leeds-derby.html

I dunno about that Asp because this only happened yesterday but the thing that rattles me is when acts of gross stupidity are carried out at high profile public events it sends out a message that this is almost an acceptable thing to do. In these cases I honestly believe that an example needs to be made of these individuals and a disproportionate punishment does send an equally clear response.

It was just the same during the riots where people were sent to jail for stealing a pair of trainers. Some say it was disproportionate but it got the message across that that sort of thing would not be tolerated.

I fail to see how being seen doing something incredibly stupid in public and on TV "sends out a message that it's acceptable".

I thought the assault on the goalkeeper you were talking about was a couple of years ago, I've only just seen yesterday's assault on tne news.

Let me rephrase that then Asp, for “incredibly stupid” read “socially unacceptable” or maybe showing a total disregard for others. And yes, when the people doing these things are deliberately playing to a large TV audience in an attempt to increase their notoriety and then only receive a token punishment then it’s bound to encourage others to do the same. Ok I used the term “making it look almost acceptable” but come on Asp, you’re an intelligent man and must know where I’m going with this.

We’re all different and we all have own points of view but irrespective of the views expressed here I doubt there’s going to be many tears shed for the Aussie or for the Leeds supporter when his time comes!

• Upvote 1

All I'm saying is that there are numerous examples of yobs committing serious offences avoiding imprisonment on the whim of the judiciary. The total disregard for others you mention should read total disregard for his own safety surely? There are other ways of punishing the guy that would discourage anyone thinking of doing the same other than locking him up. Chuck him out of the country perhaps.

There are always comparisons to be made when sentences are given for various offences; if you think that the pillock in the Thames was correctly punished (as I do) then the sentences given for assault and the like should be more severe. The fault lies with the other wimps on the bench not with the one that punished the swimmer.

• Upvote 1

BBC

It seems you can commit GBH and get away with a fine or community service, but interfere with the University Boat Race and you get prison time. Aren't the prisons supposed to be overcrowded already without nonsense judgements like this?

There is a vacant sign on the hook's old cell.

I think its more down to jail overcrowding than the whims of judges but that said we do have some crazy ones that’s for sure. Was the sentence disproportionate? Of course it was, and intentionally so, because dishing out the same old same doesn’t get the “unacceptable” message across.

No Asp, when I said total disregard for others, I meant a total disregard for others. He endangered not just his own life but the lives of others and ruined the enjoyment of millions of people in the process. In short, he didn’t give a damn about anyone else but himself and his own agenda hence a total disregard for others. If he’d have been decapitated (and he came very close) then it’s his own stupid fault but consider the psychological damage of something like this being beamed live into everyone’s homes.

I think we could go on forever on this but from where I sit it’s a good call. Oh and yes, send him back by all means but make him swim while he’s so fond of it. :P:lol::P