Messing with camera settings

Dizzy

Mmmmmm.... I've turned to trying manual settings this week and will not allow myself to use auto. Looking back probably not a good idea and some not to bad shots (well sort of) at the beginning but now lots of near black shots now :oops:

Probelm is that although it started off not too bad I've meddled so much with my camera's shutter speed, apeture and ISO settings it just remembers the last ones I used and it's just sort of a free for all and guess work now.

One step forward then 10 steps back it seems :blink::lol:

Mmmmmm.... I've turned to trying manual settings this week and will not allow myself to use auto. Looking back probably not a good idea and some not to bad shots (well sort of) at the beginning but now lots of near black shots now :oops:

Probelm is that although it started off not too bad I've meddled so much with my camera's shutter speed, apeture and ISO settings it just remembers the last ones I used and it's just sort of a free for all and guess work now.

One step forward then 10 steps back it seems :blink::lol:

If all else fails consult the manual, it's a British trait Dizz!. :wink::D :grin:

If all else fails consult the manual, it's a British trait Dizz!. :wink::D :grin:

Isabel, I am forever telling my youngest son to "read the instructions, that is what they are for", when he buys some new gadget or other. He unpacks the thing, throws the instructions book aside then messes about trying to find out how to assemble/work the thing. :roll:

Ah but as every body knows manuals are there for when you have tried everything else to get the *&%* thing working/assembled and are to be used as a last resort. otherwise it takes all the fun out of it (and that sense of pride and superiority when you manage to get it going or together without using the manual) :mrgreen:

Dizzy, I found this on Digital Photography Schools site, its a great resource for budding, experienced and pro photographers alike. I hope it helps. The link at the bottom will take you to the full article and there are loads of other helpful tips and tutorials. Give it a go.

Mastering the art of exposure is something that takes a lot of practice. In many ways it’s a juggling act and even the most experienced photographers experiment and tweak their settings as they go. Keep in mind that changing each element not only impacts the exposure of the image but each one also has an impact upon other aspects of it (ie changing aperture changes depth of field, changing ISO changes the graininess of a shot and changing shutter speed impacts how motion is captured).

The great thing about digital cameras is that they are the ideal testing bed for learning about exposure. You can take as many shots as you like at no cost and they not only allow you to shoot in Auto mode and Manual mode – but also generally have semi-automatic modes like aperture priority and shutter priority modes which allow you to make decisions about one or two elements of the triangle and let the camera handle the other elements.

A lot more can be said about each of the three elements in the exposure triangle.

Read more: http://digital-photography-school.com/learning-exposure-in-digital-photography#ixzz29GWuerjv

ps if you upload your pics I'll see if I can help you.

the 24 shot exercise was designed to make you plan each shot more carefully and not to teach you about manually setting your exposure. It was in response to you taking hundreds of shots but only getting 15 keepers. I use many different exercises to concentrate my mind on what I am trying to achieve Dizzy. The ultimate aim is to get as much enjoyment and good results from your photography as possible. I don't use manual all the time but I find it helps that I know how to use it to get around certain situations or achieve my aim. Try the site and you won't regret it I'm sure. Most of all, enjoy yourself.

I know PJ and I was only teasing :wink:

I really do value all your help and others comments too. I think I may be like Evils suggests though when it comes to reading and understanding instruction manuals as I printed the one off for my camera and it's an inch thick in an A4 binder and I tend to loose focus (ha ha focus... sorry)

Tomorrow I will digest the info on the site you gave me and like you say even though many of my pics are coming out naff now I'm certainly having fun and it's keeping me out of mischief. The dogs starting to get a bit pee'd off on walks now though :D:lol:

The instruction manual is important to understand how to set the camera but it won't teach you why you should, Read some of the tutorials and try things yourself. take notes of what you tried and were thinking at the time and then check these against the exif data on each shot. Better still try to go out photographing with someone else more experienced who can help :wink:

As you know I'd love to have a photo jaunt tomorrow but alas I need to work. The exif data is embedded into every image you take and can be viewed usually through your photoediting software. It will have iso, aperture, shutter speed etc. and is a good way to find out what does and doesn't work in certain situations