Town centre parking charges

wahl

.....but you want to levy parking charges on private car parks Obs!

Golden Square has "integral car parking". Still wouldn't fancy shifting white goods or bulky DIY materials from a store there back to the car!

I do shop online a lot, but if the fridge or freezer has died I need to go and buy a replacement immediately - not order one and take a day off work later in the week to wait in for the delivery.

24 hours is pretty good, but someone still had to be at home on Monday to accept delivery. That would've cost me a full day's pay - well in excess of the £100 you saved.

I'd have got into the car on Sunday afternoon, maybe hitched up the trailer if I didn't think a washing machine would fit in the back, driven to a retail park and parked car plus trailer up easily, bought a washing machine, and had it in and working by Sunday teatime.

If it had been the freezer instead, I would also have saved the cost of losing a freezer full of food.

And what about things like DIY materials or heavy and bulky stuff for the garden? You can't get free delivery on a couple of 8x4 sheets of chipboard or half a dozen bags of compost.

There are TWO distinct types of shopping which most people do. Going out and buying a few things which you can easily carry and wanting to choose them from a very large selection - such as shopping for clothes. Or going out and buying either a lot of items (supermarket weekly shop) or heavy/bulky items (white goods/DIY stuff/gardening materials/furniture/carpets/etc.)

Town centres are ok for the former, although often beaten by both the internet and large purpose built shopping centres, but are generally useless for the latter. Retail parks and large supermarket developments are perfect for the latter.

You COULD always build retail parks and their large car parks in a town centre, but you'd have to flatten most of what is already there to do it and the land prices in town centres would probably make it prohibitively expensive.

You could have at least tried Asp and described your adventure in geat details to give us a giggle :lol:

Can you pm me the details of the place you got your washer from please as mine has an intermitent leak and I've just had to mop another puddle up off the kitchen floor :cry:

Like you I don't have a trailer but I do have a big car but there's no way could I lift a washer in or out of it.

Cheers... now where were we ? :oops:

Well we're getting there slowly Ink. "You could build always build retail parks in the T/centres", which is basically what I'm suggesting. Take your point about prohibitive land prices, but I'm sure legislation could get round that one, after all, if the land remains virtually derelict it's not worth anything to most of us. The problem is, LAs havn't the money or the powers to initiate such a switch in current arrangements; and the retail lobby appears to have a major influence on the national Parties - so; perhaps a non-starter under our present regimes. :(

I'm sure Algy can produce photos of the area where G/Square was built - derelict or not, it was flattened for the purpose. The S/E quadrant includes Bridge street, not exactly a thriving retail area; presumably the Market could be included as part of such a major re=development. But as I said, two things are required - money and political will. :wink:

Seems the large and recently closed 'Total Fitness' site on Winwick Road is now earmarked to be another 'out of town' large retail store offering a whole host of across the board items with planning permision for change of recently submitted by the land owners.

It will be interesting to see if this is approved, and I sure it will be, and sounds rather good actually after googling the company who will be renting it of the land owners if change of use is approved.

...and some workers have already left the house by then :wink:

Only shift workers.

Perhaps Inky should get a job that doesn't pay so much, then he wouldn't lose so much money taking a day off. Furthermore, not much of a firm that won't give a couple of hrs or a half day's holiday in such a case. OR even have relations to take delivery. :wink:

Well I would never be able to take a half day for something like that and I certainly wouldn't want to take a chance on the delivery being made on time. I have never had anything delivered at the time that the company said they would (this included my washing machine).

My freezer started to leak last year and I went to the Cockhedge to get a new one. It was much more convenient for me to drive into town and buy a new one, rather than waiting for a delivery van to turn up. I got a good price too :)

I shop online a lot. There are definitely things that I would not buy online though, which is why I still go into town on a regular basis.

On another topic...I would hate for parking wardens to be abolished from the town. They stop people parking in front of my driveway and town my street! :)