Are red lights now advisory?

observer

I'm notsure whether you mean th driver who has crossed the line on red or the driver on green. When I was learning to drive I understood that amber meant stop unless you were unable to in the given distance, and red meant you had to stop. As far as I know there hasn't been a change in the law to say you must stop on red unless you don't feel like it :shock: :shock:

Existing rules regarding traffic light sequence.

The obligation on the motorist is to stop, unless the light is green, in which case you may proceed only if it is clear and safe to do so. If the amber light is illuminated, a vehicle must stop, unless it has already passed the white stop line or the vehicle is so close to the stop line, that coming to a halt might cause an accident. If the red light is showing, then you must stop behind the stop line in all circumstances.

The amber rule is a bit iffy open to judgement and the police if they see you.

OK to be a bit clearer: your in a line of traffic and move up past the stop line, the lights then change to red. Maybe the first car has time to move, but then the cross traffic will start to move on green. I've noticed that some drivers, having crossed the stop line, feel they are entitled to go, regardless of other traffic movements. :unsure:

I know what you mean Obs and happens all the time at Bridge Foot.

I always thought that you weren't supposed to cross the 'line' of any lights (on green) unless the way ahead was actually clear. I could be wrong though.

Technically once you have passed through the light on green you are entitled to continue on your way but only if it is safe to do so, if you continued in an unsafe manner and caused an accident you could be charged with driving without due care and attention, if the road was clear of traffic sufficiently enough to drive on there would not be a problem!.

That makes sense Agly and sort of what I was trying to say ie the road ahead has to be clear for you to continue and you would not cause obstuction by getting stuck.

Thinking about it my Bridge Foot comment and other places where I've seen it happen (where people block the road to traffic from other directions) there has usually been a cross-hatched area so they shouldn't do it anyway.

I suppose it might help if you gave a clue as to where you are referring to Obs if there has been a specific incident that's rattled you :P

One place where this has happened to me is at the lights near aldi. you can actually get stuck if you are turning right to go towards crossfield island and there is a lot of traffic crossing from wilson patten street. the lights can change to red and if there is traffic turning into aldi you can end up sat in the middle of the junction waiting to turn right and not be able to as the lights are on green for the traffic coming from town centre.

Wonder if it was obs I saw yesterday at the island between chester road and wilderspool causeway.

Was sat behind a car at the lights waiting. The lights to allow you to go round the island to bridge foot/the bridge over the river there changed to green and the car in front of me started off. The lights for him to go were still on red and did not change until he had started round the island to bridge foot. a clear case of watching the wrong set of lights.

I know exactly where you mean Evils and I've done it myself at the Brian Bevan island (wilderspool to bridge foot), as has my other half (both only the once I hasten to add) I remember wondering why I was the only person to 'go' :oops:

I see people doing it all the time there and the problem is that if you are first in the queue at those lights (and don't realise) you automatically look at the lights right infront of you, as you do at most junctions, rather than the ones at the side of you which are hard to see.

Maybe the council need to look into it as it does happen a lot and perhaps they could change it somehow before there's a bad accident.

• Upvote 1

I know exactly where you mean Evils and I've done it myself at the Brian Bevan island (wilderspool to bridge foot), as has my other half (both only the once I hasten to add) I remember wondering why I was the only person to 'go' :oops:

I see people doing it all the time there and the problem is that if you are first in the queue at those lights (and don't realise) you automatically look at the lights right infront of you, as you do at most junctions, rather than the ones at the side of you which are hard to see.

Maybe the council need to look into it as it does happen a lot and perhaps they could change it somehow before there's a bad accident.

I have lost time counting the times I have almost started to go from the traffic lights in Legh Street when we have been waiting on red in the right hand lane and the set facing on the other side of Midland Way for traffic in the left lane have changed to green and I have started to move forward when Mrs algy has shouted "stop! our lights are not on green", those lights still confuse me.

The incident that prompted this topic - I got a green at the junction, but could see a car had passed the line. So with a carefull eye on her, I accelerated quickly across the junction, and blow me saw her appear behind me in the rv mirror! :roll:

A few prosecutions might get people's attention. Surely with all the camera's that are on the lights, this could happen?

The National Driver Offender Retraining Scheme has a Red Light Offence Course Threshold of "Time into red up to and including 2.9 seconds". This is the scheme which enables speed limit and traffic lights offenders to opt for a attending a driving course and avoid licence points - not an option if a course has been taken within the last 3 years and example of threshold for exceeding 30 m.p.h speed limit is "up to and including 42 m.p.h".

Actually Pierre, I think any re-test serves as a deterent to bad habits. :wink:

Nah. only to those who want to drive within the rules.

Getting caught and punished is the only way to stop those who do it now, as they know the chances of any action against them is very unlikely.

For someone who believes in breaking the cycle, I am surprised that you don't have more draconian views on rectifying these problems.