Marble Coffin

Mary

A Roman marble coffin has sold at auction for £96,000.

The 7ft (2.1m) sarcophagus was being used as a trough to stand flowers in in the garden of a house in Dorset, where its significance was recognised by Guy Schwinge, a Dorchester auction valuer.

Mr Schwinge described how he spotted the coffin "peeping out from under some bushes" during a routine valuation.

"As I drew closer I realised I was looking at a Roman sarcophagus of exceptional quality," he said.

Mr Schwinge, of Duke's in Dorchester, discovered the family had acquired the sarcophagus almost 100 years ago at auction.

What's that saying "One mans trash is another mans treasure"! :mellow::shock:

What would you like planted on you observer? An acacia, a cedar, a willow, a laurel, a larch, a lime, an oak, a pine, a beech, a poplar, an aspen, a yew an acer or maybe a lemon tree?

Actually, forget it, the idea wouldn't work. The deceased would have to be laid side by side, taking up more space, rather than stacking them on top of each other, which would mean digging up the tree to bury a body.

What would you like planted on you observer? An acacia, a cedar, a willow, a laurel, a larch, a lime, an oak, a pine, a beech, a poplar, an aspen, a yew an acer or maybe a lemon tree?

Actually, forget it, the idea wouldn't work. The deceased would have to be laid side by side, taking up more space, rather than stacking them on top of each other, which would mean digging up the tree to bury a body.

Bury them in a vertical position in an oval cardboard tube http://www.verticalburials.com.au/ they're already doing it in Australia.

As advertised.

It is environmentally friendly and ecologically sustainable.

The body is placed in a vertical position in a biodegradable body bag.

The burial method uses a far simpler and safer approach that removes the OH&S issues and labour costs associated with traditional horizontal burial.

:blink: Whatever happened to Mary's Roman marble sarcophagus? :unsure::huh:

Florence I believe you were the one that started us deviating off topic:-

To quote Cleo!

:blink: What had happened to the one time occupant of the said sarcophagus? Did he up and move? :unsure::lol: :lol:

One man's corpse container is another man's plant container perhaps? :lol:

Hummm. Could be the start of a new fashion trend for houses. Old coffins re-used as window boxes. :unsure:

:mrgreen: I knew it would go off topic - so things are pretty normal at www :mrgreen:

As normal as it gets Mary!, I was quite rational and relatively sensible before joining this circus, Mrs algy says that at times after I have been posting on WW I develop a twitch in my right eye and talk to myself, however she says it does wear off after a few minutes. :wink::D :grin: