A University Education

asperity

Fair point. also noted that he only had ordinary glasses on instead of peps or a face mask, which was mandatory when handling that sort of substance when I worked with such stuff.

For something similar and if you happen to have a stream/canal very nearby. Take a couple of strong plastic bags with no holes in. drop a couple of chunks of dry ice in. seal bags and toss into stream/canal and wait. Not quite as loud but just as much "fun" :twisted:

Fair point. also noted that he only had ordinary glasses on instead of peps or a face mask, which was mandatory when handling that sort of substance when I worked with such stuff.

For something similar and if you happen to have a stream/canal very nearby. Take a couple of strong plastic bags with no holes in. drop a couple of chunks of dry ice in. seal bags and toss into stream/canal and wait. Not quite as loud but just as much "fun" :twisted:

Lumps of sodium are better Sid, although now ICI are finished, not easy to get hold of, its the chemical they filled depth charges with, lads used to chuck it into the river weaver resulting in a massive 'bang' and a column of water.

There were, and still are, some real sadistic people in the world!

My frivolous mood has just suddenly evapourated. :angry:

I apologies Cleo, on reflection perhaps too much information, :oops: I shall edit my previous reply. Cheer up my little flower of the desert!. :)

I apologies Cleo, on reflection perhaps too much information, :oops: I shall edit my previous reply. Cheer up my little flower of the desert!. :)

I am back to happy again now, having just enjoyed lunch on the balcony with the main man in my life and the little man came up to join us, having seen us there as he came home from playschool. :) Life is so wonderful. :)

Sodium is quite good for that as is lithium. One of my science school teachers managed to create a quite spectacular bang with lithium and a bath of water. He put a bit too much lithium in and instead of just fizzing around in the water it caught fire and exploded spewing still fizzing lumps all over us kids.

Have handled all those in my time and some really nasty stuff as well. probably the strangest being Cesium. Had to keep it in a fridge as it was a liquid at room temp and a metal when chilled. Had to handle it in a special cabinet that was filled with silca gel and dry nitrogen as it had a great affinity for oxygen as well and even the slightest trace amount in the cabinet and it would start to oxidize. The one thing you did not do was under any circumstances let it get wet. It would burst into flames in air and when water was involved was as bad a lump of gelignite with a lit fuse. :blink:

Well just read a good one on the bbc news site. it seems some enterprising lad who is a music graduate has just taken a £250 a week job. Plenty of fresh air and all he has to do is sit in a field all day and scare the birds off the the crop. He is happy withe the job, the farmer is happy with his work and all his mates are dead jealous.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-19846642

Well just read a good one on the bbc news site. it seems some enterprising lad who is a music graduate has just taken a £250 a week job. Plenty of fresh air and all he has to do is sit in a field all day and scare the birds off the the crop. He is happy withe the job, the farmer is happy with his work and all his mates are dead jealous.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-19846642

no doubt the next story will be that some Eastern European will do it for £50.00 a week....