No fans no hope!!!!

GrimReaper

I have been reading all the positive stuff about the football club in recent months and wish it well.

But with a fan base of less than 200 despite all the recent marketing and publicity hype - does the town of Warrington really have any realistic chance of a football league team.

While the Wolves are flying high there is little chance of a small non league football team, with no apparent major investor, having any chance of success unless more people show their support.

Thoughts?

It would be a good idea to give us more than half a page in the Warrington Guardian? I have noticed that most of the time the football team has just been shoved with all of our youth leagues, so maybe moving them further to the back near the Rugby pages (or at-least the ones that people actually read) would be a good idea.

I only read the Guardian every now and again, but I have noticed that there is a bit of a problem with their ordering, and they are grouping us with the Football u13s 4th Divisions. That doesn't help the clubs reputation.

Last seasons unbeaten run (Most of which was outside the Rugby season, too) still only got about half a page at most. If we had bragged about that run a bit more in the Guardian, then a few more people would be interested in what was going on.

Another idea would be to advertise the team in schools and stuff? But to be honest, I will admit it would be nearly impossible to get a load of 12-16 year olds to a non-league match unless the club made a proper effort to do it.

At the moment, most people at schools just think we are a pub team, pretty much.

More effort could be made with the Rugby fans, too?

Advertising that Warrington Wolves ST holders get in for free is a good idea, but I have only seen it being advertised by us. Widnes Vikings actually make an effort to advertise their team, and they are a few leagues (4 or 5) below us, so something similar should definitely be happening here.

Maybe even a friendly against the new Widnes Vikings FC, possibly even at the Halliwell Jones or the Stobart (Where they are playing anyway), would turn a few heads?

But as soon as we convince people to go once, then there is a problem of sustaining their interest. If new people turn up but watch us get hammered, then we've just lost their interest again and it would probably be harder to win it back.

A big example is Curzon at home last year, we had about 400 (250 more than normal) there, but we got beat and most of them haven't been seen since.

Another idea would be to advertise the team in schools and stuff? But to be honest, I will admit it would be nearly impossible to get a load of 12-16 year olds to a non-league match unless the club made a proper effort to do it.

At the moment, most people at schools just think we are a pub team, pretty much.

You don't have a clue, do you?

The club is being promoted in the schools all the time by the club's Community Development Officer.

Success on the field is what is needed to bring fans in, and whilst good progress has been made, that effort needs to be turned into wins.

You don't have a clue, do you?

The club is being promoted in the schools all the time by the club's Community Development Officer.

Success on the field is what is needed to bring fans in, and whilst good progress has been made, that effort needs to be turned into wins.

I'm 15 and go to school, if you haven't realised. I've not seen even a slight bit of effort to try and bring more people to matches aimed at my school.

I'm not sure about primary schools, if that's what you think I mean, but as far as I'm aware there has been no effort at my sisters either. (I was there for 2 weeks on work experience, I mentioned the club to some lads in year 6 once, and none of them had heard of us. If they hadn't, who else would have?)

By schools, I don't just mean 2 schools in Latchford or whatever. Why restrict Warrington Town to Latchford and Stockton Heath?

Look mate, I actually go to school and have recently spent a fortnight at one of our primaries too, so I think you're the one who doesn't have a clue about this, so just think about it before finding some cheap excuse to nit-pick at me.

Peter T - you are right, the club is working in local schools, primary at the moment.

WireWarrior97 - what school do you attend where did you do your work exp? what school does your sister attend and I will try and find out the reaction we have had from the schools in question.

If you read in the programme each week it does say anyone with a link into schools are welcomed to contact the Community Officer. Have you mentioned this to him?

Please don't think that if WTFC are not in one school doesn't mean that WTFC are not in others or have had contact. Some schools do not want to know about football regardless if it's Warrington Town or Manchester United / Liverpool / Everton / City.

The club are currently working in schools in Latchford, Grappenhall, Stockton Heath, Westbrook, Orford & Appleton, again this is mentioned in the matchday programme.

It would be a good idea to give us more than half a page in the Warrington Guardian? I have noticed that most of the time the football team has just been shoved with all of our youth leagues, so maybe moving them further to the back near the Rugby pages (or at-least the ones that people actually read) would be a good idea.

I only read the Guardian every now and again, but I have noticed that there is a bit of a problem with their ordering, and they are grouping us with the Football u13s 4th Divisions. That doesn't help the clubs reputation.

Last seasons unbeaten run (Most of which was outside the Rugby season, too) still only got about half a page at most. If we had bragged about that run a bit more in the Guardian, then a few more people would be interested in what was going on.

More effort could be made with the Rugby fans, too?

Advertising that Warrington Wolves ST holders get in for free is a good idea, but I have only seen it being advertised by us. Widnes Vikings actually make an effort to advertise their team, and they are a few leagues (4 or 5) below us, so something similar should definitely be happening here.

Maybe even a friendly against the new Widnes Vikings FC, possibly even at the Halliwell Jones or the Stobart (Where they are playing anyway), would turn a few heads?

But as soon as we convince people to go once, then there is a problem of sustaining their interest. If new people turn up but watch us get hammered, then we've just lost their interest again and it would probably be harder to win it back.

A big example is Curzon at home last year, we had about 400 (250 more than normal) there, but we got beat and most of them haven't been seen since.

Some thought provoking stuff there - I would be amazed if the club hadn't tried all of the above.

Young fans are so fickle and only want to follow success - in the main.

Look how many Wolves fans have come out of the woodwork since they started getting success.

Ten years ago they struggled to get 3-4,000 now 12-15,000.

Following your comments today I read the Guardian and there was best part of half page coverage and picture teaser on the back page - so plenty of exposure there.

But I bet there won't be more than 200 there on Tuesday.

One of the main problems is that people can watch football on TV and get replays, so why would they want to stand in the cold/wet and freezing weather? It will take a big culture change to alter that and will take time. Most clubs at this level have similar problems.

Peter T - you are right, the club is working in local schools, primary at the moment.

WireWarrior97 - what school do you attend where did you do your work exp? what school does your sister attend and I will try and find out the reaction we have had from the schools in question.

If you read in the programme each week it does say anyone with a link into schools are welcomed to contact the Community Officer. Have you mentioned this to him?

Please don't think that if WTFC are not in one school doesn't mean that WTFC are not in others or have had contact. Some schools do not want to know about football regardless if it's Warrington Town or Manchester United / Liverpool / Everton / City.

The club are currently working in schools in Latchford, Grappenhall, Stockton Heath, Westbrook, Orford & Appleton, again this is mentioned in the matchday programme.

The 4 schools I am referring to are Great Sankey (H), Barrowhall Lane (P), Callands (P) and Penketh (H).

Fair enough then, this is just a misunderstanding on my side.

One of the main problems is that people can watch football on TV and get replays, so why would they want to stand in the cold/wet and freezing weather? It will take a big culture change to alter that and will take time. Most clubs at this level have similar problems.

Very true. The club could aim to promote matches on match days without any of the main north-west teams on TV, but they will probably be difficult to find.

Young fans are so fickle and only want to follow success - in the main.

Look how many Wolves fans have come out of the woodwork since they started getting success.

Ten years ago they struggled to get 3-4,000 now 12-15,000.

Following your comments today I read the Guardian and there was best part of half page coverage and picture teaser on the back page - so plenty of exposure there.

But I bet there won't be more than 200 there on Tuesday.

But that is still just a paragraph about each match and no real promotion.

You do have a good point there though.

WireWarrior97 - The club are working in Callands and have already met with Great Sankey and Penketh High so you are sure to see some developments.

Barrow Hall did not require the services.

So out of the 4 you mentioned, the club are working in 3.

Having spoken to James I have these facts. He has also assured me that no supporters apart from one has given him a link into schools so you couldn't have spoken to him regarding the information you stated above.

Hope this helps you understand the work the club is doing behind the scenes rather than just on the field of play on a Saturday.

WireWarrior97 - The club are working in Callands and have already met with Great Sankey and Penketh High so you are sure to see some developments.

Barrow Hall did not require the services.

So out of the 4 you mentioned, the club are working in 3.

Having spoken to James I have these facts. He has also assured me that no supporters apart from one has given him a link into schools so you couldn't have spoken to him regarding the information you stated above.

Hope this helps you understand the work the club is doing behind the scenes rather than just on the field of play on a Saturday.

Fair enough.

As you say, I haven't spoken to James (I never claimed to) about this so did not know about anything that will be happening, only what I've heard from what I've experienced (and heard) first hand from these schools.

My point was, the lack of promotion in schools would be having an effect and nothing had been done about that. However, there are plans in place to change it which I wasn't aware of,

Are there any plans in place about the Guardian or our links with Warrington Wolves?

(Just asking, so certain people don't find another excuse to moan at me :roll: )

Fair enough.

As you say, I haven't spoken to James (I never claimed to) about this so did not know about anything that will be happening, only what I've heard from what I've experienced (and heard) first hand from these schools.

My point was, the lack of promotion in schools would be having an effect and nothing had been done about that. However, there are plans in place to change it which I wasn't aware of,

Are there any plans in place about the Guardian or our links with Warrington Wolves?

(Just asking, so certain people don't find another excuse to moan at me :roll: )

Dear Wire Warrior

We take on board all the views expressed by supporters. Rest assured a lot of hard working is going on behind the scenes.

The above issues have both been works in progress for a long time now and I can assure you the profile of the club is now a lot greater than it was a few years ago.

We have doubled our fan base from where we were a few years back, without any major success on the playing field.

I would just ask all supporters to work with us and help move the club forward.

You are our greatest ambassadors.

Use your passion and enthusiasm amongst your peers and friends. If you all brought one new fan along we would double our gates over night.

For those of you who do come down on a regular basis thank you for your ongoing support - it is greatly appreciated.

I agree Gary

I try to bring people along to matches with me, but having done so for a few years most of my friends are just bored of watching us, if I'm being honest. (I'm not gonna get bored any time soon though! Certainly not going to start supporting Curzon, which I've been accused of before :roll: )

I have also noticed a rise in attendance since I started watching us, of about 50-100, so the club has clearly been making good progress.

And just to clear up, my original post was ideas and stuff, not criticism or anything :)

Eight matches without a win!!!!!!. Can see a few more fans dropping off never mind increasing.

Last two matches drawn after taking early leads, both of which report plenty of chances, chances have to be converted to keep the fans coming.

Ian

Eight matches without a win!!!!!!. Can see a few more fans dropping off never mind increasing.

Last two matches drawn after taking early leads, both of which report plenty of chances, chances have to be converted to keep the fans coming.

Ian

Our problem nearly every game so far this season (certainly every game I've attended, and from what I've heard its been the same for the away games) has been either turning possession into attacks or turning attacks into goals.

We shouldn't still be having the same problems we had almost 3 months ago!

Similar scenario to 12 months ago????

12 months ago we had the ability in the squad to actually score goals. At the moment, we are just causing problems and not getting it into the net.

To be honest, I can see that you are clearly just aiming a dig at Joey there. I'm not sure why you are so bitter towards him. He did a great job for the club, at least give him a bit of credit for what he did :roll:

I don't want to start an argument here, but please just keep this on topic, and stop going back to last season for the sake of being bitter :)

To be honest, I can see that you are clearly just aiming a dig at Joey there. I'm not sure why you are so bitter towards him. He did a great job for the club, at least give him a bit of credit for what he did :roll:

You are so wrong, yet again.

HOW can that be having a dig at Joey???? He is NOT in charge of the team this season.

It was an observation, that we are not in a good position so early in the season. Wake up lad.

"Similar scenario to last season" is comparing Shaun to Joey. You always seem incredibly bitter to Joey, so I can only assume it is a dig aimed at him as per usual.

Yes, he isn't in charge this season, but you said "similar position to last season" ... :roll:

You don't half love a slight chance to moan (at me or about Joey) do you mate?

I don't have a dig at Joey. You must be mixing me up with someone else.

The similar position is about the results. NOT about Joey.

And if you read back to my post about "similar position", you were the person having a go at me, because you read something into my post that wasn't there.

14th after such a few games is not exactly the top 6 by xmas that I was hoping for.

Last season started badly as well.