The general purpose trivia thread for the terminally bored

Dizzy

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rags would be used to make rag paper which lasts a lot longer than wood pulped paper and was used for important documents such as blueprints. I remember when i first started at UKAEA the drafting paper we used was rag paper, which was a linen with wood pulp in it. made great handkerchiefs if you soaked them for a day or so as the woodpulp would dissolve out leaving you with a nice piece of linen.

The bone when collected had many uses apart from glue. cleaned they were made into handles for knives,ornaments or even toys for the kids. They were also used in chemistry and the grease from the bones used to make soap. Whether much went into crockery I do not know but bone certainly went into bone china.

I also remember the guy with the horse and cart (a sign of a really successful rag and bone man at one time) and am sure he used to rattle a couple of plates or saucers to make a ringing sound as he came down the road with the accompanying cry of "rag bone". He would accept most things and was always handy for the odd jam jar or two for when we went fishing for tiddlers.

Remember the rag and bone man who gave goldfsh for rags? Some kids would go to the cart with a handful of rags. He would just look at them and tell them they needed more rags. Damn goldfsh would be found floating on it's side a day or two later - dead! They never did last long.

There used to be a 'Boneyard' Glue factory just past the Dog & Partridge on the right hand side by Spittle Brook at Woolston, but for the life of me I can't remember the name?.

[img=http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/algyb/ScreenShot006_zps02f94a29.jpg]

I think ther was a slaughter house up there to, I think that was called Gaskells

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...