Knutsford Road Flood Defence Underway

algy

I've just been to peer in the brook, Peer I said! :unsure: and the waters not really that high but it's white water and comming down at speed. For it to do this the actual river level can't be that high as yet but looking at the sky, theres a whole lot more to come.

Bill :)

Do they open gates somewhere near there to divert the water when it gets to a certain height Bill or is that somewhere else (I'm sure I remember you/or someone mentioning it on a past topic once)

Only reason I ask is that at about 5pm (may have been a little earlier) the level of the Manchester Ship Canal went up and it had been the same all day until then. It didn't go up much though, and I've seen it a lot higher.

It was only about a foot of so higher according to my visible 'marker'

You're doomed...! Doooooomed...! I tell you, you're all doomed! :unsure:

It's ok Cleo, I'll still be here cos there's a huge big ditch near me and we've got 3 canoes if all else fails. Mmmm they aren't stored here though so best get them later :unsure:

Edited by Dizzy
I meant 'ditch' not the other word

The sluice gates are at Latchford locks and it's well worth a walk down there to see just how much water goes through there at times like this. The water of course fills up the last section of canal between the locks and the Mersey estuary and it gets emptied only when the tide is out. That's why the level outside your house will appear to go up and down during the course of the day during periods of heavy rain.

Thanks Bill.

To be honest I rarely notice any real change in the water levels most days as it's pretty much the same and even when it is higher it's not worth worrying about. I only noticed tonight as a friend commented on how high it seemed so I went out and replied 'is that it?'.

There have been times when it's been exceptionally high and/ot fast flowing though and well worth watching (not that even that would affect people on this side of it though either :D ). Those on the other side where they are building new houses might get a bit freaked if it happens when they move in as it gets much higher on their side. I wont upload my past pics as that would be mean :lol:

As for watching from the locks... errr no thanks Bill as locks scare me enough as it is :oops:

The level at the Mersey monitoring station (near Higham Avenue) has just reached 3.08 metres. That's a new record <_<

This measurement was recorded at 10:45pm tonight.

Good job it's not been rainiag for a quite a few hours eh.

The highest ever river level recorded at this location was 3.00 metres on 6th Sept 2008.

Well the environment agency must have redefined the laws of physics then because Spittal Brook that runs directly past my office and into that section of the Mersey is at least six foot lower than I’ve seen it in previous years and water doesn’t run uphill.

On the basis of that, the water at Vicky Park should also be six foot lower so no problems I would guess.

Correction!! I was on about the Mersey in general while Higham Avenue is monitoring another brook running into it a lot further downstream and below the wear where of course it’s more effected by the tides.

• 2 weeks later...

Algy et al.

I have come across the Environment Agency's newsletter dated May 2012. It starts off saying that the £23 million River Mersey scheme had been approved.

Phase 1 Latchford.

Phase 2 Howley

Phase 3 Cinnamon Brow, Padgate, Westy, Woolston.

Newsletters can be seen at:

www.environment-agency.gov.uk/floodriskwarrington

I particularly like the para that says:"we will need to fell some trees". Does that mean they will leave some standing? :shock:

A defence wall is being built from Bridge Foot to Victoria Park Gates. From there to Black Bear Canal an embankment will be built with another wall protecting the scrap yards etc after the canal.

Allegedly due to be finished in May 2013.

Algy et al.

I have come across the Environment Agency's newsletter dated May 2012. It starts off saying that the £23 million River Mersey scheme had been approved.

Phase 1 Latchford.

Phase 2 Howley

Phase 3 Cinnamon Brow, Padgate, Westy, Woolston.

Newsletters can be seen at:

www.environment-agency.gov.uk/floodriskwarrington

I particularly like the para that says:"we will need to fell some trees". Does that mean they will leave some standing? :shock:

A defence wall is being built from Bridge Foot to Victoria Park Gates. From there to Black Bear Canal an embankment will be built with another wall protecting the scrap yards etc after the canal.

Allegedly due to be finished in May 2013.

Thanks for the info Peter.