More Warrington - Old Photo's

algy

Wolf's House Sankey, I haven't a clue as to who Wolf was or why the house was named after him/her, perhaps Dizzy may know?.

wolfs%20house%20sankey_zps92964700.jpg

Penketh Tannery Band.

penketh%20tannery%20band_zpsa2b956da.jpg

Penketh school 1850.

penketh%20school%201850_zpse8b34693.jpg

Teachers & girls from Penketh school, Jubilee year 1884.

penketh%20school%20and%20staff_zps4184d69a.jpg

Penketh Co-operative Society production staff.

Co-op%20society%20production%20staff_zps60ec94dd.jpg

Algy... and idea what road Wolf's House was on or near ? :oops: You knew I wouldn't be able to resist didn't you :P Pics about 1890 ish?? is that right ?

Hi! Dizz, as far as I can ascertain the date would be post 1900, the map below is c1908 and the only road that has the configuration of houses on a bend of the road in Penketh with a church or chapel in the distance would have been the Warrington Widnes road, the other 1912 map shows how that section of road has been by passed by the dual carriageway.

Might be worth trying 1891 and 1901 though.

Good luck!.

1908_zpseec35832.jpg

2012_zps271ea18e.jpg

i think wolfs house looks to be in sankey bridges next to the book makers now near the entrance to saxon park what you think?

across the road from the black house appears to be on 1893 map but replaced by a row of terraces by 1907 maps

Possible minty but the photo came from a 'Penketh' collection, it could have been titled incorrectly I suppose!.

I clicked on that and it opened a page called picresize (with no photo) but my pc blocked it and automatically flicked me into 'compatibility view'. Comp view then blanked out the posts on this topic.

Just mentioning it incase it happens to anyone else. If it does just click the 'compatibility view' button on your browser to flick back to normal view mode'.

I clicked on that and it opened a page called picresize (with no photo) but my pc blocked it and automatically flicked me into 'compatibility view'. Comp view then blanked out the posts on this topic.

Just mentioning it incase it happens to anyone else. If it does just click the 'compatibility view' button on your browser to flick back to normal view mode'.

Same here Dizz, no picture but didn't blank out the posts!. :unsure:

Still like to see what you intended displaying minty.

i think wolfs house looks to be in sankey bridges next to the book makers now near the entrance to saxon park what you think?

across the road from the black house appears to be on 1893 map but replaced by a row of terraces by 1907 maps

Mint, you have convinced me with the photo that you provided for me to post (below) nice detective work.

oldwolf.jpg

The Methodist Church steeple is identical.

ScreenShot005.jpg

ScreenShot001.jpg

Here's a map of 1903 Liverpool Road, Ssnkey Bridges, Wolf's house would probably have been about where the terraced houses are on the left of the modern photo.

ScreenShot006.jpg

Great photos as usual Algy. It's taken me ages to comment because our broadband is awful at the moment, it's been refusing to download this thread and I haven't been able to get on ancestry either :shock: and this is my 2nd attempt at posting this reply, grrrr ......

Thanks Tracey, is it your broadband or your computer that is slow. if it's your computer download and run 'Malwarebyte' free, worth a try as sometimes malware can slow you up!.

Oh no, thanks for the suggestions but it's def not my laptop. We were having problems for ages, Plusnet kept telling us we needed a microfilter. My software developer husband didn't believe them for some reason best known to himself. After weeks of wrangling he eventually bought one and hey presto - problems vanished.

Then we had a new front door fitted and the actual phone wires into the house crumbled when the old door was taken away so no broadband or phone! We had to get a BT engineer out but the download speed was still really slow. We discovered Plusnet had put some sort of restricter thing on our line due to the fault, took them over a week to realise what they'd done and take it off again.

Last night we finally had a call from a Plusnet engineer who mumbled something about A Thing they'd done and today - we seem to be firing on all cylinders. I just hope it lasts! :rolleyes: