It's Dynamite!

Cleopatra

Imagine this. A person walks into a police station and hands in a stick of dynamite. The desk officer looks at it and.... panic....! The station is evacuated and the streets around the station are closed as a precaution.

Someone calls for the army bomb disposal team to deal with it.

Does that sound like a good plot for a t.v. comedy sketch?

It's real life drama folk which kicked off when someone walked into Durranhill police station in Carlisle with what police officers suspected was a stick of dynamite.

Watch this space for further information....... :unsure:

Bet that woke everyone up in the station.

Can't remember exactly what it is or how it happens but I remember either my other half or my brother telling me about sticks of dynamite after I said they had to be lit with a fuse like they do on the TV.

'He' said they contain something like glycerine ?? No he can't have said that as they put that in kids bubbles.

Anyway whatever it was it can seep out of dynamite over time or if it's not stored right or is old and the seepage can cause crystals to form on the outside which makes them sensitive to bumps, temperature change and things and they can explode.

Maybe I need to google as I'm not sure any of that is right now and maybe they were just winding me up :oops:

Nitroglycerine is the explosive element of dynamite. Alfred Nobel found a way of mixing the nitroglycerine (which is very unstable and likely to go bang with little help) with other compounds which made it stable. This is dynamite. However over time the dynamite can degrade and become unstable again.

Anyway whatever it was it can seep out of dynamite over time or if it's not stored right or is old and the seepage can cause crystals to form on the outside which makes them sensitive to bumps, temperature change and things and they can explode.

Any body who has ever watched any of the old western films dealing with gold claim jumping and the like would have known this as it is a staple plot line of the film. Hero has to get several wagons loaded with dynamite that is sweating to the mine. During the arduous drive along a variety of tortuous trails at least one wagon will go out of control and end up at the bottom of the canyon in a ball of flame and smoke as the dynamite explodes.

One of the funniest tale I have heard was told by Blaster Bates about the time he was called to a house where there were several sticks of "unexploded dynamite" in the coal shed. It turned out the woman had a great dane at the time and after he had gone in and gently "handled the dynamite" he gave her the advice to keep the dog out of the coal shed. :|