Max Bygraves

Cleopatra

Does this mean that with music internet downloads Max could be top of the "Hit Parade" next week ?

I very much doubt it WD, personally as a 'performer' I couldn't stick the man, although as a man I have no opinion as I did not know him, however its was sad for him to suffer from Alzheimer's disease.

I very much doubt it WD, personally as a 'performer' I couldn't stick the man, although as a man I have no opinion as I did not know him, however its was sad for him to suffer from Alzheimer's disease.

Algy, me owld blue toothbrush, you might not have been able to stick him but obviously millions more could for him to have remained in show biz for so many years. :lol:

Oooh bold and big text from Cleo :shock:

I don't actually get it so not sure how 'sick' it is and whether I need to moderate. What do your recon Obs... hand on heart have you been a naughty boy ? :unsure::wink:

I never was a fan of Max B or his music as he couldn't sing and wasn't really very funny either (in my opinion), he used to make me cringe (sorry) :oops:

Like Algy already said, probably a really nice bloke (away from the cameras and tacky show biz facade though)

RIP Mr Bygraves.....

Allow me to educate you Dizzy, lovie. In Saudi Arabia a punishment for theives is to have their hands chopped off. It puts a stop to their theiving. Instead they have to resort to begging, which is also illegal. No win situation, eh? :unsure:

The most famous song observer referred to is "You Need Hands".

Ok so I get it now as I didn't know he did a song about 'hands'.

No need to 'educate' me on the other facts though Cleo ('Lovie' :roll::wink: ) as my uncle worked there many years ago and I remember him telling us how no alcohol was allowed etc and how theives were punished too :shock:

Very barbaric IMO but then again crime levels were apparently much lower than over here at the time as most people wouldn't 'dare' do anything because of the consequences.

Bit of a bugger if you were later found to be incocent though I guess....

.... Obs can I have your hard hat and body armour quick :huh::lol:

I'm not even going to bother to reply Dizzy, lovie, except to say it's a sure thing that crime is still much lower in Saudi Arabia than in the UK. Would be interesting to have a comparison of worldwide crime rates. I should imagine that UK would be closely following US and both would be somewhere near the top of the list.

Barbaric it may be to chop off a thief's hands but very effective. Not like in UK where thieves go on and on stealing time afte time, even after several so called punishments. I'm pretty sure that the authorities would be certain to have the right person (probably caught in the act) before ordering a thief to wave goodbye to his hands.

I'm pretty sure if you think about it (ok so maybe you don't want to think about it, but if you did) you would realise after all that you knew Max Bygraves recorded a song about hands. You Need Hands was a top selling record, reaching number 3 in the charts in 1958 (maybe a little before your time) but the song in many ways has remained in the public awareness, advertisements, comedians etc., etc.,s so you will bound to have heard it at some time or other, just forgotten it, innit?

As for the popularity of Max Bygraves, I have, in my time, heard any number of people say that they didn't like him, couldn't stand him but, let's face it, many people would have done (even some of those who claimed not to) for him to have remained in the busniness for at least 50 years.

I'm not even going to bother to reply Dizzy, lovie, except to say it's a sure thing that crime is still much lower in Saudi Arabia than in the UK. Would be interesting to have a comparison of worldwide crime rates. I should imagine that UK would be closely following US and both would be somewhere near the top of the list.

Barbaric it may be to chop off a thief's hands but very effective. Not like in UK where thieves go on and on stealing time afte time, even after several so called punishments. I'm pretty sure that the authorities would be certain to have the right person (probably caught in the act) before ordering a thief to wave goodbye to his hands.

I'm pretty sure if you think about it (ok so maybe you don't want to think about it, but if you did) you would realise after all that you knew Max Bygraves recorded a song about hands. You Need Hands was a top selling record, reaching number 3 in the charts in 1958 (maybe a little before your time) but the song in many ways has remained in the public awareness, advertisements, comedians etc., etc.,s so you will bound to have heard it at some time or other, just forgotten it, innit?

As for the popularity of Max Bygraves, I have, in my time, heard any number of people say that they didn't like him, couldn't stand him but, let's face it many people would have done (even some of those who claimed not to) for him to have remained in the busniness for at least 50 years.

Well thanks Cleo and feel free not to 'bother' as I'm not bothered either but considering (for some strange reason) you replied to me that "I'm not even going to bother to reply Dizzy, lovie" that was a pretty long reply....lovie :lol:

I said it seemed barbaric IMO but I never actually said I didn't agree with it to some extent or it didn't work to reduce crime over there.

And NO Cleo... even though I did think about it and then 'thought about it' again I did NOT remember Max B ever singing about 'hands' so please don't tell me I clearly did when I didn't (unless of course you have found a way into my brain and memories that I am yet to find myself)

Sorry for my mistake and my lack of 'naff songs' knowledge though.

RIP Mr Bygraves (again) as I think this topic may be about to take a sudden tangent and follow a similar diversion route that many others have done in the past.

'Lynching' - Kenny Lynch, one of the early 'black', sorry, coloured singers to have a top hit in the UK with "Up on the Roof" in December 1962, however career wise never amounted to greatness in the charts.

He was a friend of Diddy David Hamilton and he didn't amount to much either. Whatever happened to David Hamilton? He seemed to fade into obscurity.

If Dizzy isn't looking - I used to fancy the pants off Kenny Lynch. He was so cute. :wink: