Beds in sheds -

observer

If you want ridiculous inky, I think you will find a mirror is all you need. The London met are appealing and even members of the government think they have a good case.

The regulations have changed 14 times in the last 3 years, as the border agency try to meet government targets, I am happy to wait for the court to see who's right, you and Obs are obviously not, and have already made your minds up. I prefer the open minded approach . Perhaps if you were better informed you would not look so ridiculous, As I have a good nature I will help you out this time, you might find more info on the link, you never know it might make you less blinkered, well I can live in hope :wink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19465854

• Downvote 1

Ok, so the detail of the rules changed a few times. Nothing that anyone working under a regulatory regime doesn't have to take in their stride.

The FACT remains that London Met couldn't say whether or not 57% of its foreign "students" were even attending the university.

The FACT remains that 25% of the random sample investigated didn't even have the right to be in the country.

And the FACT remains that the university had given places and visas to large numbers of these foreign "students" without ensuring that they had even the most basic ability needed to understand and complete their courses.

Those are all basic, fundamental, requirements of the student visa programme, and haven't changed in decades.

Inky,

The sample that the government looked at we're files, not the students themselves, so the % that cannot speak English will drop drastically when the students are interviewed.

The problem came about when the Labour government who originally put the changes in made a hash of it as they were trying to get elected it was unworkable to be fair on the agency, All the changes put in afterward were a bad attempted to make bad legislation work. If any good is to come out of this mess it would be to get rid of the legislation and start again, and put something in that works and is relitifly easy to police and is understood by all involved and does not keep changing every 3 months, so as people who are involved in it do not need re training all the time. Better to take time over the legislation and get it right than rush something though, we are living though bad legislation, let us hope they can get it right.

Inky,

The sample that the government looked at we're files, not the students themselves, so the % that cannot speak English will drop drastically when the students are interviewed.

is that a fact or your guesswork Kije? do you have figures to back that statement up? Because the way I and everyone else seems to see it is that a % of the "students" they interviewed couldn't speak English

Look again Baz they looked at files, they did not interview anybody :wink:

and so I ask again.... is that a fact or your guesswork Kije? do you have figures to back that statement up? Because the way I and everyone else seems to see it is that a % of the "students" they interviewed couldn't speak English

what if there was a section in the file that said "Can this person Speak English?" and the answer in loads of cases was "NO".... how do you know that wasn't a question? ..... oh but of course; you don't because you are guessing!!!

The regulatory regime REQUIRES an institution to keep accurate and auditable records on those to whom they have given visas.

If London Met didn't then they failed in their statutory duty to comply with the regulations governing the granting of the PRIVILEGE they had been given. And now they're complaining about being stripped of that PRIVILEGE?

As far as London Met having the support of other universities goes - I gather you didn't listen to the contribution from the Admissions Officer at a major university on Radio 4 this morning. They stated that they'd been contacted by one of London Met's foreign students who is now looking for an alternative institution to transfer to, and that they were horrified by the almost complete lack of relevant qualifications this individual had and their almost total lack of the ability to speak English. Needless to say, this candidate was told that they wouldn't be considered for a place at the Admissions Officer's university.

And yet London Met had given this individual a place, and a visa, on the strength of a few years experience working in an office in lieu of qualifications.

London Met was one of the "new" universities.... former colleges that have been given a new title. Just like Warrington Collegiate being part of Chester Uni..... It aint a Uni and never will be while it is doing courses on hairdressing and travel