Battle of Britain Anniversary next month!

algy

Next month will be the 72nd Anniversary of the Battle of Britain.

A few interesting facts regarding air crew

Interesting (one for Cleo) that there was one pilot flying in the Battle of Britain from Egypt, his name :-

P/O Timothy Seddon Wildblood 33478. Killed In Action:

Egyptian. RAF 152 Squadron. Spitfire I. No. R6994.

Timothy Wildblood was born in Cairo, Egypt on 3 March 1920. He was the son of Brigadier General E. H. Wildblood, DSO.

Also there were two Pilots of mixed German race and one Austrian.

German

37148 F/O Count Manfred Bernard Czernin MC, DSO, DFC. German-English. RAF 17 Squadron, Hurricane I V7500.

S/Ldr. Count Manfred Maria Edmund Ralph Beckett Czernin von und zu Chudenitz was born in 1913. He was the son of Count Otto Czernin von und zu Chudenitz and Hon. Lucy Katherine Beckett.He died on 9 October 1962.1

He gained the rank of Squadron Leader in the service of the Royal Air Force. He was decorated with the award of Military Cross (M.C.). He was decorated with the award of Distinguished Flying Cross (D.F.C.). He was decorated with the award of Companion, Distinguished Service Order (D.S.O.).

He died on 9 October 1962.

105162 Sgt Eric W, Seabourne DFC. German-Canadian. AAF 601, 238 Squadron, Hurricane I P3764

Austrian.

81940 P/O Alfred Fitter Von Limmer. Austrian, RAF 141 Squadron, Defiant I

The one person we have to thank for this victory was Air Marshal Dowding - who set up the air defence system before the war, (the world's first) using radar guidance onto targets. Unfortunately, he wasn't recognised in own time, later being posted to Washington as a result of internal "office politics". :(