Blind leading the blind?

observer

The latest gem to arise from a Tory think tank, is to export NHS services to foreign patients, in order to gather income to reinvest in the NHS. Not sure whether they expect our Surgeons to travel abroad or that foreign patients will come here for treatment? Either way, the OBvious question is: if NHS staff are devoting time, energy and equipment to "foreign" patients, presumably it's not available to British patients, thus causing our queues to get longer? One can't blame Government for trying to think of ways to create added value in these times of austerity, but they really need to think these things through, rather than coming up with half baked ideas. :roll:

Well,Obs, if this idea comes to fruition i hope they find somebody better than the incompetent shower at Warrington to man these hospitals.

My sister-in-law has been in there several times in the last 3 months with the same problem & been subjected to various junior doctors giving contradicting diagnoses to the effect that her condition is no better than when she first went in.The main remedy seems to be various forms of pain management instead of bringing a consultant to see her & find out what the problem is.The situation has got so bad that we have now contacted her MP who involved himself immediately & contacted the hospital.She does not need this at 77 years of age.

Apparently the MP's involvement has done some good ...the family have had a meeting with a consultant today & are seeing another tomorrow & someone has admitted that there has been a lack of coordination between between different wards & departments & a lack of suitable follow up procedures. Today's consultant has agreed to coordinate her treatment . Apparently notes regarding previous treatment have either not been passed on or have been ignored in some cases ,which would fill any prospective patient with confidence ! Apparently, the patient being hard of hearing has also been a problem for the doctors getting feedback.Hopefully things will improve now Obs .

Incidentally,did anyone see the robotic consultant on trial in Northern Ireland...the consultant was dealing with a patient 25 miles away. Maybe that is how the plans for overseas NHS outbases will operate Obs. The consultant will be based in nice sunny climes & dealing with NHS patients via video link .

Personally I would scrap this dual nationality nonsense where a person can live abroad for many years; paying taxes outside the UK and then saunter back over here on their British passport (which no doubt has been propping up the wobbly table in some foreign villa for the past 8 years) and get all the treatment free on the NHS.

If you want to go live and work abroad.... Go; but take the rough with the smooth

Most of us do take the rough with the smooth, if we have not made preperations for the the event of any rough period. I have just been diagnosed as having the start of cataracts but I have no intention of running back to the UK for treatment on the NH. Instead I am paying for treatment here, where we only pay for the treatment we need, when we need it. We do not pay whether or not we use the services like you do in the UK, and in doing so help to pay for other UK inhabitant's waste of such services etc.,.

Still, I will keep my dual nationality thank you very much. My husband and our children all have dual nationality but none of us are in too much of a hurry to return to the UK and our passports are kept secure in the safe, not propping up any wobbly table or any other piece of furniture for that matter.:angry:

No wonder it has been quiet on here as of late. You have been away on holiday. Oh well, all good things come to an end! <_<

I was diagnosed with a cataract by my optician in April. I had a choice of 4 hospitals to be referred to and I chose St Helens because of its history as an 'eye' hospital. My first appointment was in May, where they confirmed that I had the beginnings of a cataract. 3 weeks later I had my 'pre-op' and 2 weeks after that had the cataract removed and a new lens fitted that also cured my astigmatism. Nothing but praise for the NHS :D :grin:

The NHS seems to have a love hate relationship with its customers with no happy medium...horror stories emerge every day along with daily doses of praise & i think a lot of influence on people's attitude to it comes from being in the right or wrong place at the right or wrong time.It does need to be slimmed down though in respect of just treating UK residents & refusing overseas health tourists who have not paid a penny towards its upkeep.

It certainly is, but alas a victim of it's own success and political interference over the years. Whilst the concept of "free at the point of need" is fine; it has evolved without any overall strategic mission statement that controls it's boundaries of operation. Thus, as more costly drugs and techniques evolve, so costs rise. Add to this, involvement in non-essentials like IVF and abuse by non - NI paying foreign nationals; Gordie's PFI fiasco etc - and you have a bottomless pit for the taxpayer. There are some major ethical dilemas to be addressed: EG: Should there be an age cut off point for major surgery such as hip replacements etc? Should expensive anti-cancer drugs be available, when they may only extend life by a matter of months? We need to decide exactly the mission statement we require, in order to create boundaries of operation and thus costs. :shock:

Most of us do take the rough with the smooth, if we have not made preperations for the the event of any rough period. I have just been diagnosed as having the start of cataracts but I have no intention of running back to the UK for treatment on the NH. Instead I am paying for treatment here, where we only pay for the treatment we need, when we need it. We do not pay whether or not we use the services like you do in the UK, and in doing so help to pay for other UK inhabitant's waste of such services etc.,.

Still, I will keep my dual nationality thank you very much. My husband and our children all have dual nationality but none of us are in too much of a hurry to return to the UK and our passports are kept secure in the safe, not propping up any wobbly table or any other piece of furniture for that matter.:angry:

No wonder it has been quiet on here as of late. You have been away on holiday. Oh well, all good things come to an end! <_<

very nice....

but why do you want dual nationality what is the point? or are there benefits that are not immediately obvious?

You are either one thing or another surely. If you want to live work and do whatever you do out there in Egypt (....nice for a Holiday.....) why not just become a full time Egyptian?

Do you intend to send your kids to UK universities or take advantage of the healthcare when it really matters?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Friggin hell! You are not thinking this through are you? How can I send my kids to university in the uk when they are all grown up with their own families. Why should they want to take advantage of your healthcare when we have our own perfectly modern and capable hospitals - one just across the road from where we live - and many doctors' surgeries?

And why should I not want dual nationality? Just because I married an egyptian man does not mean I should have to relinquish my british nationality. Why should I become full Egytptian (which to all intents and purposes I already am) just to satisfy you!? HUH & PFFFFT!

I don't work. I don't need to work. I am a lady of leisure. :lol:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1