Creamfields 2012 - Tickets Wanted

Dizzy

You would if you were living anywhere near, LK. For the record 55% of the venue is in Daresbury Parish/Halton Borough and 45% in Walton Parish/Warrington Borough. Today, Halton Council has had four road sweeping lorries clearing mud off their stretch of the A56 at Daresbury - will be interesting to see if their bank holiday overtime bill goes to Creamfields or becomes another part of Council tax budget.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least Halton BC are cleaning the road Pedro and not just sitting back hoping the rain will wash it all away before tomorrows 'back to work' day.

If I remember rightly it poored down last year too but not to the same extent and the site was very muddy so maybe after having to cancel this year they will decided to hold it somewhere else next year :wink:

One thing that I wondered though was that we do have heavy rain at other times of the year so surely the farmer/land owner should have know which areas are prone to flooding and/or becoming waterlogged.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if a field does not have suitable drainage then heavy rain and 55000 people stomping on it will create a massive slushy mess... It also doesn't take a genius to realise that tents shouldn't be pitched in low lying channels or areas :lol:

Saying that... I bet it was a right laugh sliding through all that mud and water :lol:

Highly productive agricultural land and well farmed (with attractive annual subsidies) but no crops can give returns anywhere near annual payments (?) from Creamfields. Glastonbury has had probs in past and have taken gap years after site churnned up. Main difference between Glastonbury and Creamfields is that the former has a huge site covering 10 farms with owners donating six figures to charities annually while still having healthy income and Creamfields annual contribution amounts to dividing between £10K and £15K to Parish Councils of Daresbury/Hatton/Walton for 'inconvenience' their event causes residents - plus those few freebies for local 'supporters'.

Would not suggest a ban on 'Music' Festivals LK but ensure Licenses given only to appropriate sites where there is minimum disruption to communities whether rural or urban. An event such as Creamfields could still have it's Scouse connections if located at Aintree or Haydock Race Courses. If rural Cheshire has to be retained for a 50,000 plus sellout then what about Oulton Park. Have heard on the grapevine that inquiries have been made about a move to Cheshire Show Grounds near Northwich but flatly rejected.

These kind of events will always have people complaining where ever they are located, I do agree they should give more money to the local councils for inconvenience caused. I don't think having this event once a year, is that bad.

Alot of people who live in Aintree, don't like the Grand National.

NIMBY... Not me Algy and I'm more than happy for Creamfields to be held in my back yard next year for the same monetary offering that the current landowners/farmers/councils get :D

55000 people might be a bit of a tight fit though :lol:

How much have each of the Parish Counil's you mention received over the Creamfields years arounf here Pedro any idea ?

It's all in the minutes Dizzy. Last year and this year £15K divided equally between the 3 Parish Councils -previous years £10K. Not sure how the 'suffering parishioners' have benefited except Walton has planted urban roadside trees in the former Inferior/Lower area and Hatton has had at least one Hog Roast.

In my three score years and ten, living in the same location, I have seen many changes IN MY BACK YARD with only a handful which have not benefited the local community and those who choose to enjoy the facilities of the area - Walton Gardens, Beidgewater Canal etc. I do not accept that not wanting a so called Music Festival every August Bank Holiday weekend or an illegal travellers caravan site - both of which fly in the face of Biodiversity - makes me a NIMBY - a GOM, maybe

Well!, I for one would not wish to have a venue such as 'Creamfields' in our locality or indeed a travellers illegal caravan site or any other such happening that may have the effect of being a general nuisance and probably have a negative affect on property values in the area, if that makes me a NIMBY then so be it, and with respect I would certainly not place events at Walton Gardens or on the Bridgewater Canal as being on the same level as Creamfields Pedro. Many years ago we had the Cheshire Steam Fair in the fields at the top of Broad lane, Grappenhall and I'm sure the local residents would welcome that event back with open arms, I know I would!.

Well!, I for one would not wish to have a venue such as 'Creamfields' in our locality or indeed a travellers illegal caravan site or any other such happening that may have the effect of being a general nuisance and probably have a negative affect on property values in the area,

algy are you thinking of selling your house ?

It would be the only reason I would be worried about property values going down in the area, otherwise I would look forward to a reduction in council tax if the values do go down.(like that is ever likely to happen).

Unless you are thinking of selling your house in the next year or so the value is irrelevant and even if you are thinking of it then it is only worth what some other person is willing to pay for it. It is very rare that the advertised price of a house is the price that is paid by the buyer it usually ends up a compromise between the advertised price and the original offer made.

Yes there is a nuisance cased by such events but taken over the course of a year three days out of 365 on a weekend when a lot of people would normally be away on holiday is not that big a nuisance.

Granted an illegal caravan site is much more of a nuisance over a longer period but is probably less noisy.

The biggest nuisance during the year is the run up to and weeks following bonfire night when kids think it is great to wander round the streets setting off explosives at all hours of the night. It is about time that there was legislation to make all fireworks the silent type. Mind you due to the recession it was a much quieter time last year.

An event such as Creamfields could still have it's Scouse connections if located at Aintree or Haydock Race Courses.

Not sure how the scouse connection came about apart from James Barton of 'Cream' being a scouser.

The first Creamfields was held in Winchester.

algy are you thinking of selling your house ?

Not really Sid, but if your interested in making an offer I would always consider It. :wink::D :grin:

My old uncle Jack always maintained everything had a price and was always saleable.

Can I safely assume that you don't reside in the vicinity of the 'Creamfields' site.

When mentioning Walton Gardens and Bridgewater Canal I regret not making myself clearer Algy. My reference to both was to illustrate permanent local facilities for everybody's benefit as well as the resident local community - unlike Creamfields and the Travellers' caravan park which are for the 'benefit' of minorities and imposed on a locality irrespective of whether residents want the disruption and noise or not. As for disruption and inconvenience caused by Creamfiels this if for much longer than the weekend of the event - build up starts two weeks before and dismantling for another two weeks. The network of public footpaths over the fields is closed for over two weeks and although now open are for the most part unwalkable because of the churned up ground and litter.

As for the wild life in this area, animals and birds have reduced in numbers year on year since Creamfiels came - they don't like the noise and disturbance of their habitat either. A music festival on the scale of Creamfields and biodiversity just don't go together.

When mentioning Walton Gardens and Bridgewater Canal I regret not making myself clearer Algy. My reference to both was to illustrate permanent local facilities for everybody's benefit as well as the resident local community - unlike Creamfields and the Travellers' caravan park which are for the 'benefit' of minorities and imposed on a locality irrespective of whether residents want the disruption and noise or not. As for disruption and inconvenience caused by Creamfiels this if for much longer than the weekend of the event - build up starts two weeks before and dismantling for another two weeks. The network of public footpaths over the fields is closed for over two weeks and although now open are for the most part unwalkable because of the churned up ground and litter.

As for the wild life in this area, animals and birds have reduced in numbers year on year since Creamfiels came - they don't like the noise and disturbance of their habitat either. A music festival on the scale of Creamfields and biodiversity just don't go together.

I totally agree with you Pedro, it should never have been allowed. I presume all the farm land that belonged to Edward Greenall has been sold off over the years, as greedy as he was I can't see him or his son Peter ever allowing it. :unsure:

Peter Greenall/Lord Daresbury owns most of the the fields on which Creamfields is held - neighbouring farmers, Bennetts, own the other fields which are vital to the event for access from the A56. Over last two years Lord D has sold off the rest of his land and severed his residential links with the area, establishing a new estate of some 1000 acres on the England/Wales border close to Malpas. Maybe it was Lord D's four sons who first wanted a music festival in their back garden seven years ago - inherited titles and large scale summer events seem to go together these days - becoming a necessity for the upkeep of their estates - anybody's guess how much Creamfields pay the landowners from the event turnover of some £5million++ ??

It was noticeable that when Lord G did live in Daresbury he was never around at festival time, always conveniently away doing something else and staying in one of his other homes. Presumably the only reason he kept the land where the festival is held was because of the income. I hope they decide it is too risky to hold the event on such ground again but I won't hold my breath!

That was replacement of the original clay open ended land drainage pipes many of which had been broken up by the heavy set up traffice of the previous six years of Creamfields. The replacement plastic land drains have resulted in no improvement on the drainage problem from the main event stages site becaus, as I have previously mentioned, at least two of the deep pits which took the land drainage water were filled in by a previous generation of the farming Bennets with spoil from excavations for the Daresbury Labs Tower. Maybe local knowledge can sometimes be a dangerous thing but believe me I have walked, run and jogged these fields since circa 1947 and am more familiar than most. Latest from incensed local residents (for some inexplicable reason excluding our Warrington South MP)is that they may urge Warrington Council to claim a case of Rylands v Fletcher against the landowners for allowing surface water and top soil to flow off the fields on to and across the A56 into properties on the opposite side of the highway. This has been an on going problem since the pits were filled in and should have been sorted by Council action years ago.

That was replacement of the original clay open ended land drainage pipes many of which had been broken up by the heavy set up traffice of the previous six years of Creamfields.

I don't doubt anything you say Pedro, but I believe it was the Creamfields organisation that funded the drain replacement and as I said previously, it is the same organisation that is prepared to spend more on drainage if required, which it obviously is.

Have seen water running uphill in 50 differenr places at one time Peter - and to music - the incredible fountains in the gardens of Versailles and that was a fete of engineering from over 300 years ago.

Flooding of farm land in Daresbury and Walton may now become a challenge to the new owners of Creamfiels organisation who apparently sold out to Live Nation last May for £13.9 million. LN is a large US outfit quoted on New York Stock Exchange based in Beverley Hills and have made Cream's founder Jim Barton President of a new offshoot promoting Music Festivals in North America. Not bad for a guy starting Cream in 1998 although the takeover would suggest that the real profit makers have been the Venture Capital company IMAC who have invested, expanded and sold Cream on.