explosion noise?

sadako

Not a clue was wondering what they were myself. Thought the first one was somebody messing with the bins around here at first but when the next few went off began to wonder if somebody was setting off fireworks Think there were about six bangs in all and they sounded distant.

Mrs Sid did not hear them and I was beginning to wonder if I had dreamt the whole thing :|

It was fireworks for the end of Ramadan apparently. A friend saw them. They didn't sound like it though

Fireworks are not the same little fairy fountains they were when we were young. Today they are so powerful, like exploding bombs. I remember when I was in the uk the exploding fireworks made our windows rattle constantly on bonfire night.

Even here I sometimes lift up about 2 feet from my chair when one suddenly goes off they are that loud.

HOORAY! today is the last day of Ramdan here! Tomorrow the feast of Eid! Lots to eat and drink!

Presume they can eat between dusk and dawn during Ramadan - so perhaps a mid-night feast? :unsure:

Eat and drink normally between maghrib (dusk) and fajra (dawn).

The feasting comes on Eid at the end of Ramadan when we can eat at any time again and usually bring out a lot of food and drinks (non-alcoholic) to share with visitors, who usually come and go all day long.

I often fast for a few days during Ramadan but this year it was just one. I don’t have to do this but when everyone else is fasting then it seems only right to do the same. There’s a lot of good scientific evidence that periods of fasting is actually good for you and helps reduce several of the key markers associated with heart conditions and cancer.

Bill :)

Language Cleo... :wink:

I'm confused as to what loud explosion noises have got to do with fasting, ramadan and eating... ahh forget that as I just realised that it probably disturbes your digestive tract and causes excess gasses and if everyone is doing it over the same period of time... say no more... one giant and sequenced 'fart' :lol:

So have we now concluded that the loud bangs that Sadako heard at midnight on 17 August 2012 were you (or yours) then Cleo .... :lol:

There's pizza just about to come out of my oven and a big bowl of salad if anyone fancies a bite before my two (who are in trouble) devour it :lol:

Eat and drink normally between maghrib (dusk) and fajra (dawn).

The feasting comes on Eid at the end of Ramadan when we can eat at any time again and usually bring out a lot of food and drinks (non-alcoholic) to share with visitors, who usually come and go all day long.

Cleo, I really don't wish to be offensive, but surely if you can eat and drink between dawn and dusk then surely that's a bit of a 'con' as your still able to consume victuals each twenty four hours albeit at irregular hours , not much different than your average shift worker, or am I being naive?.

So have we now concluded that the loud bangs that Sadako heard at midnight on 17 August 2012 were you (or yours) then Cleo .... :lol:

There's pizza just about to come out of my oven and a big bowl of salad if anyone fancies a bite before my two (who are in trouble) devour it :lol:

Not me or mine lovie, they belonged to the muslims in britain. You wouldn't be able to hear ours from there. Their fasting ended a day before ours.

Cleo, I really don't wish to be offensive, but surely if you can eat and drink between dawn and dusk then surely that's a bit of a 'con' as your still able to consume victuals each twenty four hours albeit at irregular hours , not much different than your average shift worker, or am I being naive?.

Well, lovie, believe it or not, one does not eat as much during Ramadan as at other times. Just imagine it. It's like everything is turned on it head. There we are sat with all that food in front of us waiting for mahgrib and listening for the announcement from the masgeds telling us that we can now eat but when we do eat breakfast we usually find that we cannot eat as much as normally, even after having abstained from eating and drinking all day long. That is because the first thing we do is to quench our thirst by drinking water. Then we start to eat and because of the water there is not so much room left in the stomach for food and if we eat too much it becomes uncomfortable.

Bill has already mentioned the benefits of fasting (he is a wise man). Fasting helps to clean out the body and helps to prevent certain disorders.

Most people sleep in the night as normal because they work as normal through the daytime etc., etc.,. An hour or so before fajra a little man in our village goes through the streets beating his little drum with his little hand and calling for people to waken and eat before fajra and fasting begins again.

On the last day of fasting the little man with his little drum does not waken the people to eat. We do not need to eat then because fasting has ended and we can again eat whatever and whenever we wish through the day.

Algy, you naive little dear, you really didn't think we could go a full month without eating and drinking something?