What was it ? Bright moving 'star' 11.20pm tonight

Dizzy

I was just siitting outside gazing up at the lovely clear sky and bright stars when I noticed a rather fast moving 'star'.

At first I thought it was a plane but then realised it couldn't because of it's light, height, shape, speed and the fact that it then just appeared to fade and fizzle out in about a second. No clouds so it didn't go behind one of those.

Any idea what it was ? It was 11.20pm

I only saw it for about 9 seconds in total and it was travelling in a very straight line in a sort of northerly to south direction.

Made me smile whatever it was, and maybe it was an angel saying hello :D

Edited by Dizzy
post edited as I put westerly instead of northerly OOPS

Dunno what it was, Diz, but it reminds me of one of the finest song lyrics ever written:

I saw two shooting stars last night

I wished on them, but they were only satellites

It's wrong to wish on space hardware

I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care.

I'd guess it was either one or the other.

Who wrote those then you soppy bugger ?

It didn't look like any shooting star I've ever seen though as it was a lot bigger and brighter (and I used to spend many hours lying on my back at night watching shooters from the grassy garden at home where I grew up and also in Anglesey on many holidays over the past years).

Yeah seems so, thanks Fugs :D

Dam though as if I'd stayed out longer I might have seen some of the meteor shower too according to Jodrell Banks website. They say it might still be visible tonight though.

Some interesting other things to look out for over the next weeks including the blue moon on the 31st.

Jodrell Bank - Night Sky August

Dam though as if I'd stayed out longer I might have seen some of the meteor shower too according to Jodrell Banks website. They say it might still be visible tonight though.

Some interesting other things to look out for over the next weeks including the blue moon on the 31st.

A blue moon!? They don't come along often. In fact, I've never seen one before. Can it be seen in Egypt? :blink::unsure::huh:

Bugger! It won't really be blue! :oops::huh:

You weren't seeing things Diz, I saw the light too, at first assuming it was a plane, then realised it was probably the space station. Very clear and bright, wasn't it? And fast moving too.

A blue moon!? They don't come along often. In fact, I've never seen one before. Can it be seen in Egypt? :blink::unsure::huh:

Bugger! It won't really be blue! :oops::huh:

Double bugger. Fancy them calling it a blue moon and showing a pic of a blue coloured moon and getting me all excited that we were going to see something quite spectaculat too. I've read it now <_<:lol:

• Upvote 1