old painting warrington bridge

mint87

looking for what you guys can tell me, looks like the old bridge? but trying to date when it was painted it by J W STEDMAN and had a framers stamp for Edward Jones 106 Buttermarket st Warrington, does anyone know anything re the framer too?

i thinks its 1890's but looking to gain some local knowledge

post-3911-0-33487700-1343816076_thumb.jpg

post-3911-0-32397700-1343816090_thumb.jpg

That's a nice picture :D

I had a quick look and found quite a few paintings by a J W Stedman which have been up for sale in auctions. All seem to be watercolours of various landscapes, village scenes and and a fair few are of Llanberris, Pwhelli and Abersoch. Damn my brother would have loved those !

So far they all seem to be ealy 1900's ie 1912, 1913, 1918, and the likes).

Can't find any actual info about him as an artist though and his paintings don't seem to make an awful lot.

Not managed to find anything about the framing company either and in the 1895 trade directory Buttermarket Street only goes upto number 84.so personally I wouldn't have been framed in 1895...... I'm often wrong though :oops:

Not much help I know but at least I tried.

looking for what you guys can tell me, looks like the old bridge? but trying to date when it was painted it by J W STEDMAN and had a framers stamp for Edward Jones 106 Buttermarket st Warrington, does anyone know anything re the framer too?

i thinks its 1890's but looking to gain some local knowledge

If you compare your painting with this photograph of 1906 I would suggest the artist made his/her painting from this image, the detail is the same down to the position of the barge moored under the right arch at Bishops Wharf.

1906theVictoriaBridge.jpg

I have had a look at Slaters 1895 Directory for Warrington and can't find any picture frame maker or carver & guilder in Buttermarket Street also in 1895 the numbers don't go as far as 106, they must have built new premises between 1895 and 1906 or whatever date the painting was done.