Bridge Foot and others in the 60's and 40's

Dizzy

Anyone having any issue with the displaying

of these photographs due to copyright or

ownership infringement please contact me by PM (personal message) and I shall

remove them immediately. Thanks

A few odds and sods that I came across. Some are not very good quality are they are scans of low res and faded prints.

Bridge Foot in the 60's

BridgeFootc1960.jpg

bridgefootc1960-1.jpg

BridgeFootIslandc1960.jpg

Manchester Road, Paddington around 1960

ManchesterRdPaddingtonc1960.jpg

Wilderspool Crossing around 1940 ish (I think as its hard to read)

wilderspoolcrossing1940sdoc.jpg

Winwick Road early 60's. IS THIS REALLY WINWICK ROAD.... ?

wimwickroadc1965.jpg

The fountain at the Towm Hall dated 1901

TownHallFountain1901.jpg

I'll try and upload some more later.......

OK Latchy... so I know they weren't very exciting by Algy's standards but no need to give me the rolly eye treatment. :roll::lol::P

Do you remember Bridge Foot looking like that ? I don't and it looks like it was once rather nice and tranquil.

Anyway because of your cheek I might upload some more now and maybe then I'll also upload ALL the photos I took at the Warrington Transport Show the other week too :lol::wink::P(that was pretty damn good though)

Indeed it is Artie and thank you. Nice to see I've not actually managed to bore everyone :lol:

This ones for Latchy....

Alliance Box Works on Norman Street (or Box 'Company' if that was it's official name) I think they had a fire. Anyway it's dated 20 June 1936.

One of my mums relatives was the head of the fire brigade around then and his son went on to take over I think....so could be how she got that one :D:wink: I wonder if one of them is in the picture, guess I'll never know :cry:

Some what faded and creased though which is a shame ( a bit like me I suppose ) :lol:

[AllianceBoxCompanyNormanStreet20June1936resized.jpg

Well done Dizz, nice to be reminded of how the town looked when I was a youngster, as kids we would stand on the foot bridge over the railway at Wilderspool crossings and try to drop half bricks down the engine chimneys, I suppose nowadays we would be classified as 'hooligans', if you have any more please keep them coming. :D :grin:

You little horror Algy :shock:

I very much doubt that in today's society you would have been referred to as a 'hooligan' though as people are not as polite these days :wink:

Did you or your mates ever get a hole in one with your bricks by the way :wink::lol::oops:

I think the Winwick Road one would be more Winwick Street from there Dizzy....

and as for the transport show.... have you any of that nice blue car under the skittles!!?? :D

I thought it looked more like Winwick Street too Baz hence my comment but it does say 'Road' on it. (Only in pencil though so I thought could be a mistake)

.... and yes I got a couple of the lovely blue car under the skittles but some better ones have already been posted by the 'boss man'. I would have probably taken a lot more near the skittles area if I hadn't got chatting :wink:

I remember bridge foot looking like that once, it was on a Sunday. the rest of the week it was crowded. Trying to remember when it was all changed. it was certainly like that when I started at Daresbury in the late seventies and possibly into the mid eighties. My route to work was over teh railway bridge past the horse and jockey, turn into winwick road and then straight down to bridge foot and then up Chester road.

Not to bad in summer but horrible in winter especially on a motor bike.

Its taken from the start of Winwick Rd looking towards Winwick St

Thenks Reader :D I've sort of lost my bearings when I read that so google mapped it. I didn't realise the bit of road that runs past the Stadium to the Lord Rodney was also called Winwick Road.:oops:

When you say the 'start' though do you mean near the Lord Rodney looking towards Winwick Street or the other end which is closed near the bed shop/tesco entrance ? (Does that make sense?)

Cleo and Evils... you've spoilt the lovely little peaceful image in my mind now that you've described what it was really like.

If it was still like that in the mid 80's then I'm worried about my memory now as I really don't remember it and I was driving by then :shock::unsure:

I thought it looked more like Winwick Street too Baz hence my comment but it does say 'Road' on it. (Only in pencil though so I thought could be a mistake)

.... and yes I got a couple of the lovely blue car under the skittles but some better ones have already been posted by the 'boss man'. I would have probably taken a lot more near the skittles area if I hadn't got chatting :wink:

Your both correct, it's Winwick Street the other side of the island, looking toward Central Station and Winwick Road this side of the island at Pinners brow with Buckley Street on the right.

No did I never did drop one down the chimney!. :wink::D :grin:

• Upvote 1

Bridge Foot photos... was it about 1958 when they built Wilderspool Bridge to take the place of the infamous level crossing ? I know my mother took me down to watch some MP ( maybe Marples) cut the ribbon.

Opened by by Alderman Edward Marshall M.B.E. J.P. May 16th 1957.

:unsure::oops: OMG I'm going to sound so stupid but I don't get that.

I can't see the Grand Cinema being demolished on the 3rd one down Algy. Saying that I don't even know where it was and I never saw the old Wilderspool crossing area so wouldn;t know if anything was missing :oops:

I've got a few more to upload but no idea where some are. Later maybe and hope you can help :D

No idea about date on the train one WavyD and it's only a paper print that I scanned and it was very blurry to start with which may make it look older than it actually was.

Do you or anyone else know when the crossing was first built and put into use ?

As for the council workers... maybe they weren't workers.... they could have just been residents pinching the flowers or something and they got caught in action by a mad woman with a camera :lol:

:unsure::oops: OMG I'm going to sound so stupid but I don't get that.

I can't see the Grand Cinema being demolished on the 3rd one down Algy. Saying that I don't even know where it was and I never saw the old Wilderspool crossing area so wouldn;t know if anything was missing :oops:

I've got a few more to upload but no idea where some are. Later maybe and hope you can help :D

Dizz, I have copied your photo and marked the remains of the 'Grand Cinema'.

wilderspoolcrossing.jpg

Regarding the level crossing at Wilderspool, Arpley Station was built in 1854 and a map of 1849 shows the line passing over Wilderspool road so it would be reasonable to surmise that the line would have existed at least two years previous to the map being printed.

The photo with the loco passing through was dated 1910.