28. Building the MSC.

algy

Wilson Company, Steam Crane.

z0395_WilsonCompanySteamCrane.jpg

In 1892, during the construction of the Manchester Ship Canal, an unusually high tide caused the collapse of Bridgewater Lock at Runcorn, causing a great deal of damage to the newly completed works. The famous Bosdin Leech commented in his detailed work on the Ship Canal that 'it was lamentable to see such good work so ruthlessly destroyed'.

z0396_WreckoftheBridgewaterLocks.jpg

The initial opening of the Manchester Ship canal on Jan 1st 1894 - Snowdrop & Crocus leading the flotilla, the official opening was carried out by Queen Victoria on 21 May 1894

zMSCOpeningJan1st1894-SnowdropCrocus.jpg

1890. The construction of Walton Lock.

zWaltonlockconstructionc1890.jpg

Runcorn Docks

RuncornDocks1.jpg.

Runcorn Docks c 1890 and not a steam ship in sight.

RuncornDocks2.jpg

Preparing to change the Lower Gates on the 65 Foot Lock at Irlam Locks.

z0413_Z017LowerGatesonthe65FootLockatIrlamLocks.jpg

Changing the 65Foot Upper gates with 250Ton Floating Hydraulic Crane Titan.

z0397_Z00165FootUppergateswith250TonFloatingHydraulicCraneTitan.jpg

Titan Preparing to Lift a Lock Gate.

z0403_Z007TitanPreparingtoLiftLockGates.jpg

Titan removing the 65 foot Lower Lock Gate at Irlam Locks.

z0414_Z018LowerGatesonthe65FootLockatIrlamLocks.jpg

THAT'S ALL FOR NOW FOLKS! I SHALL POST THE FINAL BATCH OF AROUND 220 PHOTOS (LARGER FORMAT) IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

Algy.. fantastic insight to the men and woman building the MSC..hard work was the order of the day .What amazes me is that most of there work is still as good today as they constructed it..the bridges very little maintenance with very little problems .if only these crews were available today! many thanks ..well done ..cheers art.

Huge thanks from me too Algy as they have all been absolutely fascinating to see and read about. :D:D

Don't leave it too long before you start the next batches though as I'll get severe withdrawal symptoms :unsure::wink::D

Huge thanks from me too Algy as they have all been absolutely fascinating to see and read about. :D:D

Don't leave it too long before you start the next batches though as I'll get severe withdrawal symptoms :unsure::wink::D

Hey Dizz, even convicts get time off for good behaviour! and I have behaved myself recently, can't promise that will be the case when I have more time on my hands though!. :wink::D :grin: :D

<amy thanks Algy. Also answers my earlier question about getting the lock gates into place. I seem to remember one of those huge floating cranes still being around in the 1960's, or am I just imagining it?

No your not imagining it Dave, but sadly not the old 250 ton crane, that was a larger and more modern crane capable of very large lifts whereas the old one was specifically for lifting and lowering lock gates.

43343.jpg

Credit & Thanks to 'Shipspotting'.

• Upvote 1