Bomber Command Memorial unveiled

Errm nope; it's up to the winner to decide what reparations should be paid, but they also have to be in a position to enforce payment - the Egyptians and Vietnamese weren't in a position to enforce anything. Instead of reparations, we kept the BAOR over their supporting the German economy, instead of billing the Germans for the occupation and defence of Germany against the Soviets.

Correct, but the secret is in, not killing the goose that's laying the golden eggs - an annual skim off the top of their GDP and payment for the privilege of being defended by NATO and the BAOR, would have been easily affordable. As for the possibility of the UK pursuing a more aggressive negotiating stance at the '45 Potsdam Conference, rather than assuming the position of US poodle; it would have been quite possible for the UK to have played off the Yanks against the Russian, to get a better deal. Stalin wanted to execute 100,000 German Officers, a low number by his standards, as he had executed more of his own Officer Corps in the '36 purge; so I think he would have voted for reparation as compensation for such retribution.

I think the memorial is a splendid albeit belated sign of our appreciation of an important section of our wartime armed forces. I don't see the point of the topic being besmirched by the endless ping pong from the usual suspects.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think the memorial is a splendid albeit belated sign of our appreciation of an important section of our wartime armed forces. I don't see the point of the topic being besmirched by the endless ping pong from the usual suspects.

I agree entirely eagle, my comments were not aimed at the topic subject, merely to point to the futility of the constant bickering over points that basically have nothing to do with the brave and heroic sacrafices that these young airmen made to ensure the freedom of future generations.

Actually Alg,  comparisons between the so-called victors and the so-called vanquished, are extremely relevant.  Many of our ex-servicemen have struggled on meagre pensions, which were lower than their German counterparts (incl ex-SS personel).