Child Care - who's responsibilty?

observer

With child care costs rising, working parents are finding it difficult to cope. So who's responsibilty should it be to provide child care? The Government, the Employer or the Parents? If folk have kids, shouldn't they be staying at home to bond with them anyway, and if they want to work and increase their income, why have the kids in the first place? :shock:

You are so right observer. Have you had a sensibility injection recently?

Parents want the government to do more to help - the taxpayer will have to pay.

They also want employers to contribute more - resulting in an increase in service/products prices. Joe Public again will have to pay more for the care of other people's kids. If they can't afford the cost of raising their own kids then they should stop having them. Simples.

If child care is costing them too much then let them stay at home and care for their own kids, as mothers should do. Added benefit - more jobs available to the unemployed.

You are so right observer. Have you had a sensibility injection recently?Parents want the government to do more to help - the taxpayer will have to pay.They also want employers to contribute more - resulting in an increase in service/products prices. Joe Public again will have to pay more for the care of other people's kids. If they can't afford the cost of raising their own kids then they should stop having them. Simples.If child care is costing them too much then let them stay at home and care for their own kids, as mothers should do. Added benefit - more jobs available to the unemployed.

My thoughts exactly!

With average house prices being around £160,000 in this area, and with the average wage in the North West around £19,000, it isn't always the case that people "want" to work: it's often an economic necessity.

Are you saying that people in this position shouldn't have kids?

Ever heard the proverb "it takes a whole village to raise a child"?

• Upvote 1

There have always been financial constraints for every generation, but it would seem that 'want' has now taken over from 'need'. No-one 'needs' a 52" TV, an ipad, the latest mobile or to holiday twice a year etc., they want these things as 'everyone else' has them. It is always possible to cut back on possessions in order to live a chosen lifestyle, including choosing to bring up your children properly, not leaving it all to others. The most precious thing you can give your children is time together every day with mum & dad, that is what the majority of children would choose over possessions.

• Upvote 1

With average house prices being around £160,000 in this area, and with the average wage in the North West around £19,000, it isn't always the case that people "want" to work: it's often an economic necessity.

Are you saying that people in this position shouldn't have kids?

Ever heard the proverb "it takes a whole village to raise a child"?

I think you've got it the wrong way round there!

It's the fact that for a generation or more now many families consist of two parents who both choose to work that has driven house prices as high as they are.

Don't quite follow your logic there Ink: presumably house prices are conditioned by supply and demand? If folk can't afford to buy one, presumably they have to rent; which in turn increases demand for rented properties and hence the cost of rents? IF more housing was available to buy or rent, demand would reduce and hence prices and rents? :unsure:

In days gone bye boy would meet girl. Boy would marry girl. They would build a home together then fill it with children. The little lady would stay home and keep house and care for the children while the man went out to work and bring home the bacon.

Today it is a reversed situation. Boy meets girl. Boy gets the girl pregnant. He either stays with her or moves on to make another girl pregnant. Boy claims benefits out of which he cannot afford to pay for his child/children. Alternatively boy and girl live together and both go out to work to save enough money to buy a house and furnish it - only with the best most expensive trendy items, mind you, leaving their child/ren in the care of someone else who charges a lot of money for doing it.

Now then Lt Kije, be so kind as to explain why you felt the need to bring Egypt into this topic. I can assure you that the Egyptians have a higher moral standard than the uk. Allow me to educate you about Egyptians couples.

First of all, they do not have premarital sex because they know that sharia law forbids it and if they did indulge they would be ostracized by the whole close knit community. Here a child born out of wedlock is indeed a rareity. Every child here grows up knowing who both parents are, even should they divorce or if the father takes a second wife (which is not as common as the western world likes to think).

If a couple decide to become engaged (providing both sets of parents are in agreement) there is no sexual activity until they actually marry. Before they marry they will either build a new flat on top of the man's family home if it is feasable and if not they will look for one elsewhere and will completely decorate it and furnish it throughout with everything they could possibly need for their new lives together - everything. Then and only then will they marry. The wife stays home and takes care of the house and her husband, although in some instances the wife may continue to work until such time that she becomes pregnant. Mothers stay home and take care of the home and child/ren while the husband will go to work to bring home the bread.

Crikey, that's some jaundiced view you've all got on young, working class people, so this should warm your cockles:

Daily Wail

Oh, and here's a slice of the "real world", that people like me don't live in when people like some here pull the ladder up after them:

Indy: The old get richer, and the young get poorer

Yeah, be nice if all the laydeez could get lucky and be yummy mummies, but those days are gone for most:

More Indy

Most people (including me) who post here have had it easy compared to what young people are up against in this day and age.

No wonder they don't stand a chance with attitudes like those displayed here.

The vast majority of children born in the UK are born into loving families, you are talking about sink hole council estates, I cannot believe you right off the young with one post on here, unless you were talking about Egypt?

You and I both know that one parent families and cohabitation DO NOT only occur on council estates. The entertainment industry, for instance, is rife with it as are other professions. People who are living in comparative luxury to council tenants. :roll:

Cleo.....

You are talking about a country (Egypt) which follows a religious doctrine that has all sorts of so called moralistic codes that is clearly in favour of males in society. It was dreamed up by males and is run by males for the benefit of males.... from the outside point of view; the females in your society get a raw deal as they are only allowed whatever freedoms are granted to them by the male religious (and military) rulers.... most jobs are carried out by males (or they were in the areas around the Red Sea I have visted; cleaners, hotel workers, restaraunt staff, bar staff; all the jobs we here associate with females is not th case there.

If we go back through the history of the UK for example; we too had a society dominated by religion (Catholic & Prodestant) and our desire to spread the Christian rule around the world. That ideaology was enforced by the male members of our society and women were seen as a necessary evil in order to procreate and look after the house and the numerous offspring while the male went forth and earned the crust and travelled the world as missionaries and sailors inflicting Christianity on whatever part of the world we arrived in; and enforcing it with unbelievable brutality if the natives refused to cooperate.

Our society has now gone past all that discrimination (in most areas) and women are rightly seen as equal in standing and stature..... Emily Pankhurst and later the bra-burners of the 60's brought about a revolution that would have been unthinkable in the 20's and 30's and although totally unthinkable in countries like Egypt, Afghanistan, Pakistan and the likes; will no doubt come in time. (I recently for example found my Dads old proper British Passport - not the nonsense EU crap we have now - it had a hard backed cover and looked every bit the document you would expect from a world power and with an industrial heritage to boot. The strange thing was that my dad was the main name on the passport and my mum was just a spouse.... apparently she wouldn't have been able to travel abroad without my dad from what I can understand; although I may be wrong...How times have changed; women work in professions and companies previously dominated by men, they are allowed to vote, they can drive, they can do so many things that even the likes of my Grandma who was born in 1889 would only have dreamed of....

As I said previously in another thread, Egypt is (or was) seen as quite a moderate Muslim driven country and tolerated quite a lot of western behaviour in order to make money from tourism (especially the Red Sea coastline)... now that the Muslim Brotherhood have won the presidency who knows what will happen.

But to be honest, Egypt is probably a bad example to use when it comes to Muslim dominance of a countries people; that can better be seen in the likes of Iran, Afghanistan and to some extent; Iraq.... there the Mullahs rule with a rod of iron and kill for the slightest indescresions when it comes to breaking the laws of the Quran and the idea of the likes of the Taliban run areas of Afghanistan allowing bikini clad westerners to parade around their country is totally unthinkable.

I listened to an article on the radio the other day and this chap was talking about the after effects of the Arab Spring and his take on it was that now that the mad dictators like Mubarak, Gadaffi, Saddam and soon hopefully Assad were gone, there was no one to control the rise of the radical preachers of Islam and that although those dictators killed many many thousands of their own people; the rise of the radical Islamic leaders and the introductions of the strict Sharia law that was seen when the Taliban took over Afghanistan, could end up killing as many people!

Egypt is indeed a bad example. Here woman have the vote and do vote by the thousands if not millions. Here women can, and do, drive. Here women can and do indulge in politics. Here women can and do own businesses. Here women can and do far more than you think they can do. :wink:

However. My point was to illustrate to your friend, Lt Kije, that Egypt is not like, as he put it, the sink hole council estates of the UK, although loose morality and one parent families etc., are not restricted to council estates.

There have been some people who have said that the wife of Mohamed Morsi is not attractive enough to be a president's wife. Her reply to them was she has no interest in politics and no desire to become involved. She is happy with her life the way it was/is (as the wife of a member of the muslim brotherhood). She does not have the ambition that Suzanne Mubarak had and has no wish to be like her, and do you know that Suzanne Mubarak was from Britain? She and her spawn lived the high life in luxury and aided her her husband in keeping the people of Egypt supressed while robbing them of billions of pounds which they secreted to various other countries around the world. My, how the mighty have fallen!

However, having said all that I am uninclined to say anymore about Egypt here as the subject really has nothing to do with Egypt and I will not feed the egos of those who get some sort of pleasure by making uninformed, snide comments about Egypt when they know that they are lost on the subject under discussion, a trait which observer is adept at, the tessla man has also adopted and now Kije.Dangle the bait as much as you wish, you wont get a bite. What a load of losers! :lol::lol::lol:

what the hell are you talking about!?

I have experience of living in the Uk. I was born and raised there. I Am British and still hold a british passport, and have witnessed what is going on there on my visits back to the uk (not just for the odd week or two either, I had a house there and stayed some time there each visit). I regularly read the british press and have read what is going on there. I have watched videos etc., So I am fully aware of what is happening in the uk.

I also have an Egyptian passport. I live in Egypt and know what is going on here. I know the life here, I experience it every day. I know what is happening here.

You, on the other hand have no idea of life in Egypt except the stupid conjectures that uninformed people like yourself make.

No it does not make me a hipocryt. I would counter that i have a damned wider view than you do.

BTW it is you youreslf who is noted for making bullshit comments :wink:

• Upvote 2