19. Building the MSC.

algy

The Mission Hall at Marshville navvies village on Frodsham Marshes.

z0281_MissionHallMarshvilleFrodshamMarshes.jpg

Mode Wheel large lock chamber with the lock gate secured by temporary wooden props.

z0282_ModeWheelLargeLock.jpg

Mode Wheel Mill and the old Lock on the river Mersey.

z0283_ModeWheelMillandLock.jpg

Moore Lane workings on the Manchester Ship Canal, the swing bridge can be seen in the distance.

z0285_MooreLaneWorkontheManchesterShipCanal.jpg

Mr Platt's yacht Norseman.

z0286_MrPlattsyachtNorseman.jpg

Navvies and Steam Navvies at work on the Manchester Ship Canal.

z0287_NavviesandSteamNavviesatWorkontheManchesterShipCanal.jpg

Navvies at work on the bottom during construction of the Manchester Ship Canal.

z0288_NavviesatworkonthebottomduringconstructionoftheManchesterShipCanal.jpg

Digging the canal from under the Northwich Road swing bridge at Stockton Heath.

z0289_NavviesatWorkontheNorthwichRoadSwingBridge.jpg

Navvies moving a steam engine up a banking.

z0290_Navviesmovingasteamengineupabank.jpg

Navvy Huts at Acton Grange navvies village.

z0291_NavvyHutsatActonGrange.jpg

• Upvote 1

The photo of the "Rocket" lookalike engine puzzles me..... the many photos of the engines you posted showed mostly steam engines that we all know and love, however the one above is a very early steam engine...... if they moved "Modern Looking" steam engines to work on the ship canal from other jobs(hence the out of the area names for some) plus they must have bought many others which were all named after local places; why would they still have something as old as the one above I wonder?

The photo of the "Rocket" lookalike engine puzzles me..... the many photos of the engines you posted showed mostly steam engines that we all know and love, however the one above is a very early steam engine...... if they moved "Modern Looking" steam engines to work on the ship canal from other jobs(hence the out of the area names for some) plus they must have bought many others which were all named after local places; why would they still have something as old as the one above I wonder?

Possibly used it as a static steam raising boiler, it would have been more mobile than using a loco especially when requiring a supply for steam driven pumps where there was limited rail access, especially as there is no obvious means of drive to the wheels, Baz. :unsure:

Possibly used it as a static steam raising boiler, it would have been more mobile than using a loco especially when requiring a supply for steam driven pumps where there was limited rail access, especially as there is no obvious means of drive to the wheels, Baz. :unsure:

possibly.... the large drive wheel on the side could be a belt drive for a saw or something

Sorry for my ignorance but re: 2nd and 3rd pictures what/where was Mode Wheel Mill/lock? Was it once where the weir is near Victoria Park as it looks a bit like that on number 3.

Oooo! you are nosey Dizz, Mode wheel lock was/is at Salford and was a method of allowing barges to pass from the Irwell navigation canal into the river Mersey, Mode wheel was a large water wheel that operated the corn mill. the term "Mode" was a local corruption of "Maud" who I assume was the original owner of the mill.

'Happy now"!

Project for you seein' as youv'e nowt to do, who was Maud and what was her sir name? :wink::D :grin:

z0284_ModeWheelMillandOldLock.jpg