16. Building the MSC. - Locomotives.

algy

Locomotive Partington at Eastham.

z0234_LocomotivePartingtonatEastham.jpg

Locomotive Partington at Sankey. (not sure how the area of Sankey arrived in the equasion?).

z0235_LocomotivePartingtonatSankey.jpg

Locomotive Patricroft at Moore.

z0236_LocomotivePatricroftatMoore.jpg

Locomotive Penarth, looking brand new.

z0237_LocomotivePenarth.jpg

Locomotive Peterstone.

z0238_LocomotivePeterstone.jpg

Locomotive Prescot at Ince.

z0239_LocomotivePrescotatInce.jpg

Locomotive Rhymney at Ince.

z0240_LocomotiveRhymneyatInce.jpg

Locomotive Sale.

z0241_LocomotiveSale.jpg

Locomotive Salford and load seen from Wash Lane Bridge, Latchford.

z0242_LocomotiveSalfordandloadfromWashLaneBridgeLatchford.jpg

Locomotive Sankey at Frodsham.

z0243_LocomotiveSankeyatFrodsham.jpg

I don't know if anyone has noticed but the names of the locos have a bearing on whether they were bought specifically for use on the canal contract or if they were imported in by Thomas Walker the canal contractor from other of his completed projects, eg. 'Rhymney', 'Windsor', 'Tulley' etc. were old imported engines,, whereas engines with names depicting areas relatively local to the canal eg.'Moore', Patricroft', 'Norton', etc. were new engines purchased for the canal project. The total number of locomotives employed on the building of the canal were in excess of 170. some sources say 173 others give a figure of over 180, out of these numbers only 23 -24 were taken over by the MSC newly formed railway on completion of the canal, by 1915 only 11 of those were still operating.

I remember that crossing on Wash lane near where it meets Loushers lane I lived with my aunt on Pearson Ave just off Loushers it was the event of the day when the train would cross over Wash Lane, I think these trains were MSC but not sure about it.Does anybody have the history of this line ? as a kid you don't pay attention to such details.

I remember that crossing on Wash lane near where it meets Loushers lane I lived with my aunt on Pearson Ave just off Loushers it was the event of the day when the train would cross over Wash Lane, I think these trains were MSC but not sure about it.Does anybody have the history of this line ? as a kid you don't pay attention to such details.

Jean, I shall come back too you on this one! and hopefully provide a diagram.

The line was originally part of the LNWR system until it was moved a hundred meters or so north where the contractors built an embankment to carry the line over the new Manchester Ship canal, the old line that is in the photo was then incorporated into the MSC railway system.