12. Building the MSC. - Locomotives.

algy

Over a hundred locomotives were used on the construction of the Manchester Ship Canal. The Canal contractor, Thomas Walker, brought some engines with him from previous work, with other locomotives being purchased specially for the Ship Canal Project. The locomotives reflected this with a mix of names including both local and international place names. Many of the Locomotives were retained by the MSC Co. for use on general goods duty after completion of the canal. The main engine manufacturers supplying locomotives to the canal project were Manning Wardle, Hunslet, Leeds. The Hunslet Engine Co., Leeds. Ruston & Proctor, Lincoln.

Locomotive Altrincham.

z0193_LocomotiveAltrincham.jpg

Locomotive Arpley.

z0194_LocomotiveArpley.jpg

Locomotive Ashton at Irlam.

z0195_LocomotiveAshtonatIrlam.jpg

Locomotive Baguley.

z0196_LocomotiveBaguley.jpg

Locomotive Barham near Moore.

z0197_LocomotiveBarhamnearMoore.jpg

Locomotive Barry.

z0198_LocomotiveBarry.jpg

Locomotive Barton at EllesmerePort.

z0199_LocomotiveBartonatEllesmerePort.jpg

Locomotive Blackburn at Trafford Park.

z0200_LocomotiveBlackburnatTraffordPark.jpg

Locomotive Bowden.

z0201_LocomotiveBowden.jpg

Locomotive Burnley.

z0202_LocomotiveBurnley.jpg

I don't know why but Locomotive Barry makes me laugh!

Thanks for these Algy, as I previously said my great, great grandfather was an engine driver on the MSC. He lived at Acton Grange in 1891 then over the next 20 years moved to Norton, Neston, Manchester, Dawson City Heptonstall and finally back to Runcorn in his twilight years. At various times he's described as either an Engine Driver or a Crane driver.

I'm watching avidly for photos that could be relevant to him, like the one from Moore. You never know, that could be him standing in the cab (cab? Is that right? I'm not up on the correct terminology!).

I don't know why but Locomotive Barry makes me laugh!

Thanks for these Algy, as I previously said my great, great grandfather was an engine driver on the MSC. He lived at Acton Grange in 1891 then over the next 20 years moved to Norton, Neston, Manchester, Dawson City Heptonstall and finally back to Runcorn in his twilight years. At various times he's described as either an Engine Driver or a Crane driver.

I'm watching avidly for photos that could be relevant to him, like the one from Moore. You never know, that could be him standing in the cab (cab? Is that right? I'm not up on the correct terminology!).

Cab is correct also standing on the footplate, these locos would have tended to stay in one area moving spoil wagons and building materials. There is a book available that may be of interest to you "The Railways of the Manchester Ship Canal" by Don Thorpe, I bought one in 1984 for £4.99p, it's still available from a certain well known website (the name of a river in South America, were not allowed to advertise on here or Dizzy shouts at you and whips her eraser out!) but I'm afraid the price has risen dramatically - £22 - £38, your best bet is your local library.

.......it's still available from a certain well known website (the name of a river in South America, were not allowed to advertise on here or Dizzy shouts at you and whips her eraser out!)

Hey bugalugs... you are making me sound like some sort of tyrant and you might be getting a sharp slap around the ears if I ever happen to 'bump' into you. Watch where you are walking :evil::P:lol:

PS Tracey... I think he's suggesting Amazon. Ebay might be a good place to look too :wink: