UPDATED - A49 London Road CLOSED near London Bridge Pub

Dizzy

Went past on Thursday night on way back from school run and there was a JCB perched on the edge. hole is now about ten foot by ten foot and digger still digging away at it so may be bigger by now :mellow::unsure:

Not sure how far down they have gone but given that it had collapsed I can only say the the guy in the digger is very brave.

I went to the London Bridge pub last night and it was very quiet for a Friday night, which was fortunate, as they appeared to be replacing all the carpets with several areas cordoned off. When I came out, I noticed that there were sandbags all around the front of the building so clearly the carpets must have needed to be changed because of water damage.

I don’t recall there being any reports of the hole gushing out water, maybe there was but standing surveying the situation we noticed that the road layout there had been radically changed and that there was now no drains. Part of the road changes included a pedestrian dropped kerb and this appeared to be the only route for any water to escape for the whole of the bridge and given the slope, this would cause water to run directly into the pub. :shock:

So either there was a great burst of water involved with the collapse or the road planners simply made a big cockup?

Bill :)

So Dizz, what's the latest situation with the road? With the bad weather I don't want to have to park too far way from the pub tonight.

Sorry Bill I'm too late replying to that as we were already out at your post time last night didn't get in until 4.30am this morning. Been out of action most of the day :oops::lol:

I went to the London Bridge pub last night and it was very quiet for a Friday night, which was fortunate, as they appeared to be replacing all the carpets with several areas cordoned off. When I came out, I noticed that there were sandbags all around the front of the building so clearly the carpets must have needed to be changed because of water damage.

I don’t recall there being any reports of the hole gushing out water, maybe there was but standing surveying the situation we noticed that the road layout there had been radically changed and that there was now no drains. Part of the road changes included a pedestrian dropped kerb and this appeared to be the only route for any water to escape for the whole of the bridge and given the slope, this would cause water to run directly into the pub. :shock:

So either there was a great burst of water involved with the collapse or the road planners simply made a big cockup?

There was definately no water gushing anywhere when I took my pics the day it happened Bill although obviously they had not dug down then.

Here's why the carpets were probably wet and the sandbags needed yesterday though :wink:

Photo taken yesterday morning (Friday 22nd) after/during the heavy rain we had.

NOTE - THESA ARE NOT MY PHOTOS BUT I HAVE ASKED PERMISSION TO UPLOAD THEM ON HERE. (thanks Steve :D )

AtlasEnvironmentalSolutionsLtdA49LondonRoadSewerColapseandfloodingcopy.jpg

floodwaterlondonrd1copy.jpg

floodwaterlondonrd3copy.jpg

It is believed that they may have possibly blocked the pipe of as part of the investigation work and the water had no other place to go other than up and along. Given the slope of the road and the low level of the pub then that's where it would finish up. Don't know 100% is they did though :unsure:

• Upvote 1

I hope not Cleo :shock: Shall I go and have another look tomorrow :unsure:

Re your comment about the collapse then maybe you are right and they hadn't blocked it off. Who knows.... maybe I'll ask them if there is anyone about tomorrow. Not that there probably will be as it Sunday (typical of British workmen).

I did have a look tonight though at 6.30 pm. No workers there but water could be seen flowing though the deep hole and there were pumps pumping it too. Bit of an odd smell but nothing too bad.

Considering this is one of the heavily used main through roads in Warrington you'd think they would have been working around the clock to fix it and reinstate the road before the usual weekday chaos.

It's been a week now and doesn't look any closer to repair and completion to me but they know what they are doing.

Just to bore you... here's some more pics taken tonight by me (Sun 23rd as I was trying to clear my head with some fresh air :oops: )

IMG_5212.jpg

IMG_5223.jpg

IMG_5221.jpg

IMG_5219.jpg

IMG_5214.jpg

you can just about see the water flowing through the muddy void tonight on the above one......

IMG_5213.jpg

IMG_5224.jpg

IMG_5220.jpg

• Upvote 1

UPDATE on Front Page News today (Monday 25th June, 3.30pm) just incase you haven't read the news page since earlier on today

A49 London Road to completely close from 6pm tonight (Mon 25th), between Lyons Lane and Grappenhall Road, and is expected to be closed for at least the next few days, or until further notice, whilst investigation work is carried out.

See here :-

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/13445/1/A49-London-Road-set-to-close/Page1.html

Thanks for keeping us all updated Gary :D

The Council's website also still says it's closed from Lyons Lane to Grappenhall Road as it did last night.

http://www.warrington.gov.uk/home/news/news_2012/June_2012_news/A49_London_Road_closure/

I'll have a wander past when I take the dog out.

Maybe Dizzy you could confirm whether it is "completely" closed or only for vehicular traffic. Is it still open for pedestrians and cyclists?

Thanks

Rod

OK I'm back, what a lovely day and a nice day for a stroll but too much pollen around... sniff. Very peaceful and quiet with no traffic on the roads though :D

At this present moment in time ..............

Pavements on either side are open for pedestrians and cyclists Rod (although don't ride your bike on the pavement as that's naughty :wink: )

Suspect the one on the opposite side to the pub could close though as there's a slight gas leak now too which they are looking into at the moment and it's a bit congested with all that's going on on that side.

Cars CAN travel up London Road from the the village centre to Sandy Lane/Orchard Street junctions and vica versa.

In addition the right hand lane is 'open' to allow vehicle access up London Road into Mitchell Street (note you cannot come out of Mitchell Street and down LR as Mitchel is one way where it joins LR.

Coming from Appleton the road is completely open in both directions to Dingleway near the pub.

Like I said that is 'at this present moment in time' so could change ..............

I can see why they have reported the closure is from Grappenhall Road to Lyons Lane though as if they hadn't a lot of traffic would go up/come down as far as they can and the smaller side streets would be chaos.

Speaking of which one of the diversion routes using Red Lane was blocked earlier due to a Sommerfield lorry coming down it which then tried to turn around near the Birchdale Road when it realised there was a little bridge ahead.... apparently it jacknifed and got stuck. :oops:

The other diversion under Lumb Brook was at a stand still too.

• Upvote 1

In pictures... blimey I really do need to get a life, a hobby or better still some work that I can't do from home :lol:

I forgot to say in my previous post that I spoke to one of the workers (a very nice chap) who said because of the collapse of the sewer the escaping water washed away all the soil etc hence the road collapsed.

He also said they have to investigate if there is any other damage to the pipe or movement of soil nearby but the sewer pipe passes UNDER the canal so they have to dig down even further.

He said it's one heck of a big job as it is and hopes it doesn't get even bigger once investigations are carried out. :unsure:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Road closure today looking up towards London Bridge/Mitchell Street

IMG_5229.jpg

Road Closure looking down towards London Bridge/Dingle Way

IMG_5233.jpg

The hole is now deeper, bigger and wider (ie more towards the centre of London Road)

IMG_5231.jpg

IMG_5230.jpg

IMG_5230-1.jpg

Water flowing and being pumped from the original hole

IMG_5232.jpg

• Upvote 1

Quite right. After all, they are not allowed to drive on pavements either.

But those passengers who have their buses diverted will be getting extra miles for their journey at no extra costs. Do you think this will reduce their cost per mile?

No, no, no. I was only joking. we won't go there again.

Well done for all your footwork.

Rod

No we wont !! (well not on this topic anyway you've just reminded me about something) :lol::lol: You make it sound like I never walk anywhere though Rod, I do have legs and I have a dog who would not take kindly in going for a drive instead of a walk :lol:

No we wont !! (well not on this topic anyway you've just reminded me about something) :lol::lol: You make it sound like I never walk anywhere though Rod, I do have legs and I have a dog who would not take kindly in going for a drive instead of a walk :lol:

Dizzy

It certainly wasn't a comment on your walking. I was complementing you on putting the effort in take the pictures, etc. We may dissagree on some things but I have every respect for people who put the effort in to make our communities better places to be.

Regards

Rod

Would be interesting to see their reactions if you turned up on the bridge like that Dizzy.

You could always point a pen at it and yell at them, "Oye! You cant dig a hole there! Fill it in NOW!"

Probably they would look round and ask you with a grin, "Where's the camera Jeremy?":lol::lol::lol: