Mystery Event Last Night ???

Bill

I have heard that a lot of the usual crowd of buskers aren't bothering to turn up because of all the hassles WBC have given in the past. We are trying to make sure there is a decent turn-out as we are already more than a thousand pounds down due to the stupidity of whoever has something against these events.

One of the previous times, when I was not there, the buskers were told to move to a different place as their instruments were interfering with the local police radios. It is a shame I wasn't there, as one of my degrees had an electronics module and I could have proven that acoustic guitars cannot have any effect on radios! Then we had the demand for £600 for a "performance" licence, then a two month delay as there was "too much going on in the town centre" up until this week!

Bernard, who organises these for the region, including Altringham and Sale, has successfully raised more than £100,000 since starting - all donated to cancer Research UK. I am hoping that Warrington will eventually see that it is a very worthwhile event, but it only as successful as the authorities allow it to be. Those in charge in, for example, Altringham allow us use of a closed down shop to store valuables while performing and access to the power supply there so that microphones can be used. They also advertise it locally. This results in takings on the day of more than four figures each time. In Warrington, we seem to have become an embarassment.

:shock: Blimey I though it had all been sorted and you didn;t have to pay the licence fee.

Are you saying you've had to pay for it nowafter all and that you've only just got actual permission to play this week too.

It's a great shame if like you say many of the other buskers aren't turning up to Warrington now because of the hassle. If I was them and/or in your/their shoes I'd do the opposite from not turning up and I'd get as many buskers there as possible to prove a point even if we got moved on.

...... Fill the top of Bridge Street with buskers old and young I say and tell them all to practice a few songs in a certain key before hand so that they can all play and sing together at once and LOUD.

Ok so I'm getting a bit carried away now... and I'm staring at our guitars with a certain type of menacing glint in my eye :oops:

A lie down in a dark room to compose myself is clearly needed before I say something I shoudn't

No, we have been let off the license fee, but all the hassle has put off a good few of the "out-of-town" singers and musicians. They already go to events in other towns around the North West. We are trying to attract as many musicians and singers as possible from the Warrington area.

It looks as though my yellow roses may be flowering at the right time.