Digital (DAB) personal radio help please

Dizzy

Does anyone have one of these phone sized personal Digital (DAB) radios and are they any good?

My other half mentioned a while ago that he'd like one so he can listen radio channels which are not available on the normal radio on his mobile phone whilst he's at work.

I have DAB Radio functionality on my home cd player/radio but it can never actually tune into any DAB stations due to low signal so surely a personal smaller sized DAB radio would be just as bad or even worse especially if they dont actually tune into FM too.

Any help appreciated as I've only got 5 days to get one if they are any good.

Nothing like leaving birthday pressy shopping to the last minute ha ha :oops:

DAB reception seems to be very patchy to be honest. I'm listening to Gold while we are anchored in the middle of the River Humber, but reception in my part of Penketh is diabolical. So really your other half would have to be sure that he would be able to receive the station he wanted to before you would know whether it was worth getting one. Chicken and egg I'm afraid.................. :blink: :blink:

I get DAB through the TV in the car and to be honest; as Asp says; reception round Penketh, Westbrook Sankey is crap. Much prefer FM because at least you can listen to a slightly crackly tune rather than with DAB when it just cuts out or makes the most godawful noises

Thanks Asp and Baz. He's based over Birchwood way but from what you both say about DAB reception it doesn't sound great and I guess he'd be better off having an ipod or sticking to the FM radio on his moblile phone when at work (both via headphones of course).

Cheers :D

We have a 'Pure' (make) digital radio and as has been stated the reception can be very patchy and very limited to what stations we can receive also my ears can't detect any improvement in sound quality over FM, if it ever goes kaput definitely would not buy one again.

Dizzy.... I use the absolute radio app on my iphone. I am currently working on a house in Bewsey and although the Vodafone signal is pretty bad, you get live streaming radio. I prefer the absolute 80's channel and it works pretty well.

The absolute radio DAB station in the car isn't great because DAB doesn't stream like the internet.

I don't think there is anything wrong with DAB receivers, it just depends where you are. I can listen to loads of stations at distances of up to 20 miles from the coast at times, but other places alongside in port there is nothing. Patchy would describe it nicely! :wink:

I thought about an ipod Ringo but he listens to radio talk shows mainly rather than music ones and there's some odd talky BBC radio stations that are only on DAB apparently. Think it was radio 4+ or something like that.

From what some of you have said though I think we'll give it a miss as his works is a large building and sometmines even his phone signal lowers. We presumed DAB would be stronger signal too but doesn't sound like it is so doubt one would work in there.

I just found a website where you type in your postcode and it tells you the DAB reception/channles you should get. I typed our home postode in and according to that we should have good reception at home on over 40 digital channels. The DAB radio on my stereo wont pick up any these days and it only ever used to pick up 2 :unsure:

Well... socks it might be then (just as you suggested Cleo) or maybe I'll buy him one anyway and if it's naff I'll just take it back and get a refund.

At least it looks like I've made more of an effort then :lol:

Yes you most definately would :P:lol:

Thanks though and I see you weren't joking so sorry.... but those are a bit big to stick in a pocket covertly at work. I/he was looking to get something more like the size of a mobile phone (which is what he listens on now).

Why does he have to be so bloody awkward <_<

My micro system has CD/FM/DAB/CARD READER/USB also has an ipod dock. I've only ever used the FM radio and cd player and never tried the other bits :unsure::oops: Not sure what use a card reader is in a music player though.

• 2 weeks later...

We'd even settle for advert (not so local) FM

Well as he who was 50 couldn't think of anything else he wanted and other than boring and daft stuff I did buy him I couldn't think of anything a little more special that he would actually appreciate....... :blink:

.... so I did buy him a personal DAB radio against my better judgement and all your comments. I should have just bought him some undies, at least they would be useful.

So his new DAB Radio...

Cons... It won't pick up ANY channels at all despite us apparently being in an area which should receive about 30 channels. It did manage to find 5 the other day but the signal went straight away before we had time to tune in an listen :roll:

Pro's... it's only small, as is the box, so it wont take up too much room in the cupboard of token but expensive jestures that are quickly forgotten about.

Ahh well :evil:

I blame it all on Lt K :lol:

• Upvote 1