Bringing in dependants?

observer

I think to say that world population figures have "exploded" is more than exaggeration Obs. The truth is that the rate of increase of population growth has been slowing down recently:

Population

Eventually it is expected the growth will level to zero and then start to decline. If you look at the link, and the graph that shows where population growth is greatest, you can see how the world picture is painted.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't find a graph to support this; but the last prog I watched on the subject, showed a fairly low or neutral increase up to the 20thC; then (presumably with the advent of medical advances - anti-biotics etc), a sharp increase occured and is continuing. I note on one of your graphs that those Countries with the largest increases are relatively some of the poorest; without the food resource capacity or economy to support such increases. Resource mapping data has been made using satelite imagery, which can relate optimum population capacities for given regions. :shock:

The point is Obs, that with technological advances, previously primitive communities are weaned away from overpopulation to the state that we find ourselves in. The old western countries are finding themselves with declining indigent populations. Our population increase is due in its entirety to immigration (I can hear Lt Kije wailing already but it is true). Contrary to popular opinion the 3rd world is catching the old world up at an amazing speed. Globalisation is a great leveler.

Advanced western Countries were less inclined to over-populate due to the security in old age of pensions etc; however this does tend to cause a demographic imbalance, with less youngsters to work and pay for the increasing aged population. Of course I agree, our population incease is due to immigration and the tendency of immigrant groups to be more fertile; and an arguement for closing the doors on entry for those fleeing self inflicted poverty and starvation in those areas that can't sustain their population levels. As for the leveling effect; yes, there's an increasing number of middle class consumers in China and India, with a growing appetite for a western diet, which will no doubt affect our food prices in the future; but there still remains a high proportion of poverty in in Communist China, with a disparity in wealth that would send Mao spinning in his grave! An authoritarian State like China, at least has had the ability to introduce a one child limitation policy, but not so free democracies like India, with projected population level greater than the Chinese. :shock: