2, Building the Manchester Ship Canal.

algy

Apologies to all of you who have seen these photos previously, but there will be many of you who have not come across them before. On completion I shall not be leaving them on here, anyone who wishes to do so should copy them as we go along.

A Barrow Road being prepared at Millbank.

z0009_BarrowRoadbeingpreparedatMillbank.jpg

A navvy using a barrow run, rather than pushing he had to lean back to steady the loaded barrow being pulled up by a rope,if the rope snapped the navvy could be severely or fatally injured.

z0011_BarrowroadontheConstructionoftheManchesterShipCanal.jpg

A Barrow run at Irlam, these were exceptionally large being small two wheeled carts rather than one wheeled barrows.

z0015_BarrowRunAtIrlam.jpg

Navvies working at the bottom of Barton 65ft lock chamber.

z0016_Barton65ftLockinterior.jpg

Barton Swing Aquaduct alterations seen from the from the South Bank, the MS canal runs left to right with the Bridgewater canal in the foreground.

z0017_BartonAquaductalterationsseenfromthefromSouthBank.jpg

Barton Swing Aquaduct construction work in progress.

z0018_BartonAquaductConstructionworkinprogress.jpg

Barton Swing Aqueduct approach after the collapse showing where the water escaped.

z0019_BartonAqueductapproachafterthecollapseshowingwherethewaterescaped.jpg

Barton Swing Aqueduct under construction.

z0020_BartonAqueductunderconstruction.jpg

Barton Swing Aqueduct on completion.

z0021_BartonAqueduct.jpg

Barton Lane at the construction of the Swing Aqueduct.

z0022_BartonLaneattheconstructionoftheSwingAqueduct.jpg

:lol::lol: Or words to that effect.

Maybe Algy should start a 'photo caption competition' section on here as that would be a good one to start with.

Fascinating pictures as usual Algy but sadly I still haven't had time to go through all your topics and save any of my favourites and your wonderful descpitions before you taken them all away :cry:

It may become like a race against time for me before the world ends... only far worse as I will still be alive and will know what I'm missing... ie YOUR PICS :wink:

:lol::lol: Or words to that effect.

Maybe Algy should start a 'photo caption competition' section on here as that would be a good one to start with.

Fascinating pictures as usual Algy but sadly I still haven't had time to go through all your topics and save any of my favourites and your wonderful descpitions before you taken them all away :cry:

It may become like a race against time for me before the world ends... only far worse as I will still be alive and will know what I'm missing... ie YOUR PICS :wink:

More than happy for anyone to add amusing captions, Sid has already started the ball rolling.

Dizz I have sent you a PM.

I find Flickr perfect for saving my photos these days. The free registration has a limited number of uploads per month, but I have never hit the maximum anyway. The major drawback of using the free one is that I am limited to two folders, so I make sure I put tags onto the pictures in order to find them quickly.