Reprieve for the pasty!

observer

If they are hot from the oven eg just baked then they are exempt from tax.

If they are sold when cool or cold then they are exempt from tax.

if they are allowed to cool and then re-heated then they are not exempt from tax.

At least that is what they seem to be saying on the news today

sounds simple enough <_<

Just thought of a grey area though. what if they are taken out of the oven and placed in a heated case wonder if they will be exempt then? :|

I'm not bothered, but, must admit that whenever I went into town I had to go to Greggs for a potato and meat pastie. They are so tastey. They should open up branches here! :huh::D

Ah....... Egyptian pie, the type that mummy use to make. :wink:

If they are hot from the oven eg just baked then they are exempt from tax.

If they are sold when cool or cold then they are exempt from tax.

if they are allowed to cool and then re-heated then they are not exempt from tax.

At least that is what they seem to be saying on the news today

sounds simple enough <_<

Just thought of a grey area though. what if they are taken out of the oven and placed in a heated case wonder if they will be exempt then? :|

That's the catch... hot food kept warm will attract VAT so some stuff in the shop will be taxed but not all of it- tis a dogs dinner

The Government should not have allowed itself to be brow-beaten by a baying mob.

Greggs and other similar firms have been exploiting a loophole for years and all the changes would have done was seal the loophole. Lots of other shops, who buy in their pasties and pies and then have to charge VAT because they heat them up were, and now, still are, at a disadvantage.

Don't see why anyone should be confused. The situation remains as it was before.

Hot takeaway food carries VAT, cold takeaway food doesn't. But if the food just happens to still be hot (because it has just come from the oven) then it is classed as cold takeaway food so is not subject to VAT.

Incidentally, I can't be sure of this, but I suspect VAT on hot takeaway food was first brought in by a Labour Government. Even if I am wrong, the last Labour Government did not remove it so it is somewhat hypocritical of them to be braying about it now.

It is also a load of rubbish to suggest the change would have hit the needy poor. If folk are that poor, they shouldn't be buying takeaway food at all but should be saving money by preparing their own food at home.

Er...sorry, I forgot...most of them don't know how to these days.

• Upvote 3

But if the food just happens to still be hot (because it has just come from the oven) then it is classed as cold takeaway food so is not subject to VAT

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: well you've certainly cleared that up Adam. Ever thought of being a government advisor? :roll:

Not sure whether pasties are classed as "healthy" food or not; perhaps the pastry is bad for you? So why don't they just have a traffic light system for all food - red = bad for you = higher VAT: amber= neutral = lower VAT: green = good for you = nil VAT: or is that tooo simples?! :unsure: