Parish Council Expenses

Nick Tessla

There's a report in today's W'ton Guardian about expenses at Poulton With Fearnhead Parish Council being capped.

These include allowances to cover "petrol, transport accommodation and meals "

I fail to see why there is a need for anyone on a parish council to need to claim for food and accommodation, it's not that big an area.

Therefore any expenses come down to travel - and the measly amount the chairman of this PARISH council can claim is £1000 a month - just how big a car does he need to attend a monthly meeting and any other incidental travel he has to make in an area most people would have no difficulty walking across, that the cap needs to be that high?

Perhaps Geoff Settle, who I believe is a parish, as well as borough councillor, for that area would care to break his silence and comment.

• 7 months later...

Everyone is welcome to attend the next meeting on 21st January to ask questions or if they can't make it look at the Monthly accounts for the Parish that are archived in the Library - Nick only has to pop across the road :P  ......he still has NOT taken up my numerous invites to attend Parish but we all live in hope - and as for the North West UKIP's recent letter written in the other place. This man from Bootle hasn't a clue about where Warrington is let alone the Parish council and he spouts all sort of things without a grain of evidence - I bet he has NOT got the bottle to show up either. I think it always good to meet up face to face rather than bang on about such issues aross the ether.

Nick....

In your first post where you meantion the cap you say that 'the measly amount the chairman of this [poulton] PARISH council can claim is £1000 a month'.

I presume that is the maximum he/she COULD claim rather than what is probably claimed. 

I don't quite get it sorry and I haven't read the other article you refer too although I do agree with you that it seems a very high amount.  I'd be very suprised if  any Parish Chairman could ever drum up that level of expense in one month though..... well I hope not anyway.

Everyone is welcome to attend the next meeting on 21st January to ask questions or if they can't make it look at the Monthly accounts for the Parish that are archived in the Library

Both the Parish Councils near me have websites with all their info available to view online Geoff ...... why doesn't yours ? 

I thought you were into modern technology :wink:  8)

Hi Dizzy - the simple answer is probably because no one has volunteerd, has the knowledge or time....I'm getting on in years now and yes I was in my day into modern technology but that was 2nd and 3rd generation stuff - I could do with a tutor to get me upto speed.

I am administering a couple of Facebook sites though and they seem to be going ok but I could do with learning a bit more and it all takes time to keep them upto date with content that is interesting. :mrgreen:  It's a great idea though.