1. Local Occupations & Occasions

algy

Many of these photograph’s may be available

from the Warrington Museum/Library and will

be of far superior quality to those viewed here.

Anyone having any issue with the displaying

of these photographs due to copyright or

ownership infringement please contact me either by PM.

or through the Moderators and I shall

remove them immediately.

1860's. A Warrington Peeler (Policeman).

1860sAWarringtonPeelerPoliceman.jpg

1894. Town dignitaries aboard the SS Helvetia for the official opening of the Manchester Ship Canal.

1-1-1894WtondignitariesontheSSHelvetiafortheofficialopeningofMSC.jpg

1890's, Warrington Fire Brigade with Major & Captain, two Merryweather steam fire engines.

1890sWarringtonFireBrigadewithMajorCaptaintwoMerryweathersteamfireengines.jpg

1897 September, Richmond's works outing to Blackpool setting out from Bank Quay Station.

1897SeptemberRichmondsworksoutingtoBlackpoolsettingoutfromBankQuayStation.jpg

1900's, Greenall's Delivery Dray.

1900sGreenallsDeliveryDray.jpg

1900's, A wiredrawer and his assistant at Ryland's punching out a wire drawing Die.

1900sAwiredraweratRylandspunchingaDie.jpg

1903. Crosfields steam wagon.

1903Crosfieldssteamwagon.jpg

1910. The shed foreman carrying out a loco inspection at Dallam Loco shed.

1910DallamLocosheds.jpg

1910. Dallam locomotive shed.

1910Dallamlocomotivesheds.jpg

1910. A Warrington Post Man.

1910WarringtonPostMan.jpg

I think Algy, you would find that is a wiredrawing plate. Dies were round with tungsten carbide centres and were polished with diamond dust

Cleo, now you ARE trying to teach your grandmother (or algy in this instance) to suck eggs, round tungsten dies didn't come into existence until way after this photo was taken, the plate is called a die plate made from high grade steel hardened and tempered and to obtain the correct wire profile and diameter, the wire drawer would use punches of varying sizes starting obviously with the smallest and working up to the required size, he would then mount the die in a special vice and pull/draw a section of wire through to test if the die was satisfactory, or at least that is how the wire drawers at British Ropes at Sankey Wire mill did it, I worked there in 1962 as a millwright after leaving the smithy twelve months previously, I installed and maintained wire drawing and bar straightening machinery amongst other duties. :D :grin: :wink:

Looking at that first picture if that guy on the right is a sample of the "law abiding" citizens I would hate to come across a hardened criminal.

Dallam loco sheds was behind the houses where I grew up (mum still lives in the same street) Many is the time me and the mates were chased out of there by the night watchman or the occasional engine driver who was getting off the late shift. Used to spend hours in there clambering over the steam engines and getting as black as the proverbial. After being in there, having a bath was akin to being scrubbed with a brillo pad and the bath water contained about two or three pounds of coal dust. Great place for train spotters though. :rolleyes:

Evil Sid. Share your memories of the railway sheds. The black hole of Warrington. I was lucky in that two of my uncles were engine drivers there and they gave me access to the interior of the sheds; all the apparatus; and rides on the footplate to Winwick and back.

I still say I saw the midnight "scot" there in just daylight, and got into trouble when I got home. Double summer time then of course.

Happy days