Worst town

wolfie

In 2009 Warrington fared the worst of the 152 English regions in a series of Comprehensive Area Assessments

Warrington, a town in the north west of England, 
has been ranked at the bottom of the most comprehensive 
Government-backed quality of life survey ever conducted. 

Has anything changed since then? :unsure: :unsure:

In 2009 Warrington fared the worst of the 152 English regions in a series of Comprehensive Area Assessments

....................Has anything changed since then? :unsure: :unsure:

Yes as I just googled the 'Comprehensive Area Assessments' audit as I had no idea what it was about.

Seems in 2009 Warrington got 3 Red flags but also achieved one Green flag.

Something has definately changed since then as our awarded Green Flag was for "Public Transport in Warrington" and it stated that

"Congestion on the roads has reduced and average journey times in the morning and afternoon peak periods have improved......."

I'm sure it's gone worse since then so maybe if they did the audit again we would loose that green flag but possible loose the odd red one too when you read what they were for.

Details here.....

http://oneplace.audit-commission.gov.uk/infobyarea/region/area/areaassessment/pages/localpriority.aspx?region=53&area=418&priority=4046

Seem to recall that Beverley Hills was once rated as one of the m ost deprived areas in the US on the basis of

The age of the population

Residents with no regular, permanant employment

Lack of creation of new jobs.

You can prove anything if you (in) correctly select the criteria and how you phrase the question

Very true Nick and like you say final statistics as a result of box 'tick' filling in and the likes can easily be taken to mean anything at all (either in favour or against) providing the 'questions' have been worded carefully enough etc :wink:

Such is life though and such are those that try to control 'it' through so called assessments and other forms of selective consultations 8)

Grimsby - now you're talking about a "class" town!! I've had the pleasure of staying in the St James Hotel. The last drunk in the square outside stopped shouting around 4 am, and the next one started about 8 am. Really nice place :unsure: :unsure:

I remember we came second behind Worthing as "most profitable town" in England. It was a stat based on profits as % of turnover - so the implication was that by closing firms on the margin or making losses, the town would be more profitable, even though (as with closing Rylands/Tinsley Wire/Carrington) it meant an increase in unemployment. Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

To those who don't like the town, 'Bugger off' and find somewhere else to live, after spending a week in southern Spain and driving through some of their small towns we don't know how lucky we are!, the only thing going for them is the weather and you can soon become fed up with a temperature of 30C + every day.

Nice to be back! and obs mate with reference to your earlier reply, Salford and Liverpool are cities not towns. :wink::D :grin:

I hope that stealing bronze plaques wasn't part of the criteria. :roll: :roll:

I have seen and heard comments about that appalling theft from people who seem to be using it as an excuse for stirring up nationalistic ill-feeling - these people should bear in mind why the plaque was there and that the actions of the murdering scum who planted the bombs were caused , at least partly, by hatred to and demonising of those seen as "other" in society.

I never cease to be surprised at what these low life scum will do next, those two children who so tragically lost their lives on that terrible day, did so without any knowledge as to what was taking place in the politics of Northern Ireland and just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, the plaque that has been stolen for whatever reason was a tribute to them by the townspeople of Warrington, and now very doubtful if it will ever be recovered, perhaps the only way of deterring these scum from making profit from such items is to cast them in a type of resin or base metal that makes them less desirable to theft. :angry:

I wonder how long before they start sawing lumps off the bronze statue of Lieutenant Colonel McCarthy O'Leary in Queens Gardens, Palmyra Square. :unsure: