st Barnabas Place

mint87

Hey guys new to the site and so far i have found it a facinating incite to local history. wonder if some of you can help me with some local history/pictures of my street?

i have just bought and finished renovating our first home on St Barnabas Place off lovely lane and would be facinated to hear any history or see any pictures that people may have? also would love to know what the building at the back of your houses once was. we have some interesting ghost stories of previous occupants of you lovely home

thanks guys and loving the site

reagrds

mint

Welcome to the forum Mint and glad you are enjoying the all the fascinating stuff on here too :D

I really wish you hadn't asked that question though as I wont get any work done now for having a look. :lol:

Any idea roughly when your house was built ?

Please..... no ghost stories late at night though cos they freak me out <_<:unsure:

Building at the back of the house? Outside toilet maybe? :unsure: or maybe a washhouse? Or maybe even an old air raid shelter? Any chance of a picture of it?:huh:

If you are, or ever, constipaated, I can tell you some great ghost stories that will solve the problem for you. :wink::lol:

Hey guys new to the site and so far i have found it a facinating incite to local history. wonder if some of you can help me with some local history/pictures of my street?

i have just bought and finished renovating our first home on St Barnabas Place off lovely lane and would be facinated to hear any history or see any pictures that people may have? also would love to know what the building at the back of your houses once was. we have some interesting ghost stories of previous occupants of you lovely home

thanks guys and loving the site

reagrds

mint

Mint.

Sorry I have no photos of that area but here is a map of 1907 showing your street and other streets around you, it may help you to get a feeling of what the area was like. You may or may not be aware but what is now the Warrington General Hospital was originally the Warrington Union Workhouse with the Isolation Hospital for contagious diseases at the end of your street.

Right click on the image to enlarge.

ScreenShot010.jpg

Mint...

Is this the building you mean (marked with a ?)

StBarnabasPlace1937map.jpg

This is from a 1937 map and no reason why I looked at 1937 other than just trying to get my bearings. I'll have a look at some older maps later if I have time.

If that IS the building you refer to then it might be worth looking at old businesses or records for GOULDEN STREET as it looks to me like the front of that large building could have been on that street. Sadly google maps won't let me walk around the rear of St Barnabas Place though so I'm not really sure which building you mean.

I can tell you who lived in all 22 of the houses in St Barnabas Place though in 1911 and 1901 (ie the houses shown on the above map). In 1911 St Barnabas Vicarage is also listed next to number 1.

So far I cant find a record of the road in 1891.

I hope TraceyB doesn't look as both years show some Bennett's living in your road EEK !!! (long story Mint but if you have been looking at the other topics you will know what I mean).... silence before we alert her :lol:

If Baz is reading there is a Toft family too in 1911

Sorry that none of that is probably useful or answers your questions but gotta start somewhere :oops:

Mmmmm... Algy help :unsure: Would that be a building on the 1937 map or does it just refer to an area of land :oops:

Reason for asking is that I just looked at a 1907 map and that shows a long building (which again I have marked with red '?') but that's not on Goulden Street it's at the back of the houses on St B's.

StBarnabasPlace1907.jpg

Yep... Dizzy is getting 'dizzy' again.

You will get used to me one day Mint if you stick around on here for long enough :blink:

Thanks Algy.

So does that mean the last 4 houses in Goulden Street (as shown on the 1907 map) were later knocked down and either became part of the long thin building show on the same map at the rear of St B's ... or perhaps both they and the long thin building were knocked down and replaced by a completely new building/ business.

Time for bed me thinks :blink::lol:

Dizz/Mint, The map of 1937 is very misleading as it has the words 'Derby House' on the Brooklands bowling green, when in fact 'Derby House' is the house opposite across Lovely Lane which is St Barnabus's Vicarage, Slaters 1895 Directory gives the Rev. Geo. Allton living at Derby House, 113 Lovely Lane. In the 1907 map it shows some type of covered industrial building attached to the rear of the Vicarage, what it is I have no idea?, Dizz, in your 1937 map it has increased in size, probably due to business expansion, I have attached a 1940 aerial photo which clearly shows the buildings (marked) and also attached a Google Earth shot of how it is now.

I hope this helps, now Dizz over to you to find out what the business was!. :wink::D :grin: :D

Just had aidea, that long building may have been a Fustian Cutters workshop, it was certainly long enough. :unsure:

1940.jpg

2010.jpg

Dizz/Mint, The map of 1937 is very misleading as it has the words 'Derby House' on the Brooklands bowling green, when in fact 'Derby House' is the house opposite across Lovely Lane which is St Barnabus's Vicarage, Slaters 1895 Directory gives the Rev. Geo. Allton living at Derby House, 113 Lovely Lane. In the 1907 map it shows some type of covered industrial building attached to the rear of the Vicarage, what it is I have no idea?, Dizz, in your 1937 map it has increased in size, probably due to business expansion, I have attached a 1940 aerial photo which clearly shows the buildings (marked) and also attached a Google Earth shot of how it is now.

I hope this helps, now Dizz over to you to find out what the business was!. :wink::D :grin: :D

1940.jpg

2010.jpg

may thanks guys made up for the response so far, our house is the end terrace next to the hospital that backs on to this curious building now an electricians. our house was built 1899/1900, that ariel phot is facinating.

Did someone say 'Bennett'? :P Some Bennetts used to run a dairy from Clap Gates farm on Lovely Lane (now Clap Gates Road) so not too far away, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some connection.

Here's a link to some old on-line trade directories which may help with the search, I'll have a look myself if I get time over the next day or two. Linky Linky

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...