Bradley Higham

Cleopatra

The pitiful excuse of a man, Bradley Higham, jailed for 8 months in January for stealing poppy collection boxes has been arrested again just weeks after his release.

Had he served the full 8 months he would still be secure under lock and key and unable to commit the further offences of assault, burglery, taking and driving a vehicle without consent, driving without insurance and criminal damages.

He should be locked up and the key thrown away this time.

When will they ever learn, the powers that be, that the soft approach just does not work!?

The pitiful excuse of a man, Bradley Higham, jailed for 8 months in January for stealing poppy collection boxes has been arrested again just weeks after his release.

Had he served the full 8 months he would still be secure under lock and key and unable to commit the further offences of assault, burglery, taking and driving a vehicle without consent, driving without insurance and criminal damages.

He should be locked up and the key thrown away this time.

When will they ever learn, the powers that be, that the soft approach just does not work!?

My view totally!, Cleo. :angry:

Some would argue he might have a mental health issue and therefore needs special consideration. I say all persistent criminals have a mental problem so lock em up in the prison hospital, then throw away the key. :mrgreen:

Bill :)

The problem with "locking them up and throwing away the key" is that it still costs the tax payer a shed load of money to keep them fed and watered. So, failing capital punishment, perhaps they should be located on some remote island, given a start with an allotment and a few sheep, pigs etc - then left to fend for themselves. :wink:

worked in Australia :wink:

heard a better one today. some young dad about to be jailed because of his misdeeds appeal not to be sent him to jail as he was a fussy eater and would not like the food. The judge then cut his sentence.

http://news.ninemsn....lashed-by-judge

honestly if this was suggested as a comic sketch it would be rejected as being too far fetched.:rolleyes:

Good one Obs.

Actually. it's a serious subject. Reminds me of a true story about an old felon locked up for the umpteenth time. The policeman said to him that at his age he should know better, to which he replied, "son, I do know better, but better I cannot do".

Some people are wicked; some have been born with a mental fault or weakness. The state should do more to help the latter.

Happy days

the reason people re-offend is because the prisons are too soft and laws are flexible to provide a safeguard between public protection and the rights of the individual. The problem we have is that the prisons are full of people that have committed petty crimes and i totally disagree with locking them up and throwing away the key it still costs us a hell of a lot of money, also we need to do more to understand why they commit the crimes and providing an alternative pathway for them when released, we need to stop the social stigma with being in prison. Yes what he did was wrong when he stole money from poppy funds totally disrespectful but the reason we collect for this is because throughout history our so called government that are supposed to protect us have placed us in wars the should not happen or that we should not be involved in we need to let them fight it out themselves and focus on the ruins that is OUR country they look after everyone else but the people they serve :/

we need to do more to understand why they commit the crimes and providing an alternative pathway for them when released, we need to stop the social stigma with being in prison.

No we don't, we know why they do it, for profit. We need to take away the home comforts in prison and actually punish them.

Still think this a serious problem for a fair number of offenders. They are inadequate in some form or other and are social mis-fits. The national health service was set up to assist this type of person ( among others).

Even mis-fits have to eat. At one time Winwick hospital housed many hundreds of such people. As has been said in the past, every town had a 'spike' where they could get a free bed and breakfast. What now?

Lock up up and throw away the key? For some. but not all.

If I am being classed as a bleeding heart, so be it. I favour capital punishment for some murders; longer sentences; and less remission. Even hard labour and less privileges in prison. But one size doesn't fit all.

Happy days

i totally agree we need to take away the comforts of a prison, but for most it is a way of life they have to commit crimes either through circumstances, thrill seeking or through illness,kleptomania as an example.

we need stricter rules on more serious crimes if we are to stupidly punish petty crimes with custodial sentences, we need to provide an alternative pathway for the offender i.e new job oppotunities to try mend the stigma between the public and released convicts they have served there sentence paid th eprice for their actions leave them be. Although i disagree giving them new identies and the thing that if a celeb does a crime its ok but if we did the same thing we are up in court :/

if we are to stupidly punish petty crimes with custodial sentences

I'm sure you may find some crimes "petty" however those affected by them do not..... Criminals should be punished and taking away their liberties is the only way because we can no longer flog them and hang them unfortunately.... Even serious crime isn't punished severely enough in this country

we need to provide an alternative pathway for the offender i.e new job oppotunities to try mend the stigma between the public and released convicts they have served there sentence paid th eprice for their actions leave them be

The offender makes the choice to offend. There is no excuse. Personally I wouldn't ever employ someone who has been convicted of any offence as I wouldn't trust them not to do it again.... also, the criminal should be at the back of the line for any jobs that come up; behind people who haven't commited any offence

if a celeb does a crime its ok but if we did the same thing we are up in court :/

Celebs are up in court all the time..... it is just that they get the added punishment of having it splashed across every national paper in the land.

You are young AAron? My guess is that you are. Let me tell you that life today is not nearly as hard as the lives of people post WWll. There were criminals in those days too of course but not nearly as many as today and when caught they were PUNISHED. The majority of the population did not go around robbing people, property, shops, or indulging in vandalism like today. As for petty criminals, for every crime committed there is a victim and the victims are getting sick and tired of the perpetrators of crime not being sufficiently punished to make them think twice about recommitting. Ok so kleptomania may be an illness and a kleptomaniac cannot control his/her impulse to steal but drug addiction is self induced and a vast amount of crime today is committed by addicts to fund their habit! I wonder what you would call a petty crime? Burglary? I was burgled twice within 6 months. Not content with stealing items I HAD PAID FOR, they made a complete mess by strewing things around in every room, which took me hours to clear up! The culprits were not caught but had they have been I would gladly have volunteered to beat them within an inch of their lives and made sure they never re-offended.

• Upvote 2