3.Penketh,Sankey, Fiddlers Ferry, Bewsey & Orford.

algy

Many of these photograph’s may be available

from the Warrington Museum/Library and will

be of far superior quality to those viewed here.

Anyone having any issue with the displaying

of these photographs due to copyright or

ownership infringement please contact me either by PM.

or through the Moderators and I shall

remove them immediately.

Orford. The Mount.

Orford-TheMount.jpg

Orford Hall.

OrfordHallConservertory.jpg

Orford Hall.

OrfordHallEastFront.jpg

Teaching staff outside Orford Village school.

OrfordSchoolStaff.jpg

Holes Lane Farm, Great Sankey.

HolesLaneFarm.jpg

Henry Burthem with his wife outside 'The Ferry Inn', licensee from 1913 to 1951.

(Courtesy of the Ferry Inn web site).

HenryBurthemwithhiswifeTheFerryInn-licenseefrom1913to1951.jpg

Penketh Grange.

PenkethGrange.jpg

Penketh Hall.

PenkethHall.jpg

Penketh Jubilee Fountain.

PenkethJubileeFountain.jpg

Penketh Motorcycle Club.

PenkethMotorcycleClub.jpg

Thanks for those Algy! Brings back a lot of memories and make me feel a whole lot older as well.

I was brought up in the early 50’s just round the corner from the Mount and went school at what then was known as St Margaret’s. The main Orford estate was only just being built and there was still plenty of fields for us kids to have adventures in. School Road and Sandy Lane running down to the old tannery was one of the few existing roads in the area at the time. Even though the farm land had given way to housing development, the farm houses of White’s Farm and Pilling’s Farm were located either side of the Mount.

Thanks again.

Bill :)

Thanks for those Algy! Brings back a lot of memories and make me feel a whole lot older as well.

I was brought up in the early 50’s just round the corner from the Mount and went school at what then was known as St Margaret’s. The main Orford estate was only just being built and there was still plenty of fields for us kids to have adventures in. School Road and Sandy Lane running down to the old tannery was one of the few existing roads in the area at the time. Even though the farm land had given way to housing development, the farm houses of White’s Farm and Pilling’s Farm were located either side of the Mount.

Thanks again.

Bill, don't take this the wrong way, was the old school still there when you were a lad. :unsure:

Yes it certainly was. I think the building remained there for a good while after I’d moved onto secondary school although I think it wasn’t in use for quite some time before it was finally demolished.

I remember the main hall inside had a large folding wooden divider screen that was used to make the hall into two separate classrooms. They certainly knew how to get the most out of school buildings back then unlike the modern ones that seem to be built to last just a decade or so.