May poles?

observer

Mentioned that to my good lady this morning. I remember one in our backs just fifty years ago. When I was a child we always had one - partly as a way of raising a few coppers.

The thing I always remember about May day was that the weather was always good - now?

Happy days

I rather suspet some guys might have looked like they were morris dancing after using it to de-pube. :unsure::lol:

Trivia;

Morris dancing is thought to have originated in three major places - Oxford, Cambridge and Cowley although there are some who believe it started in Somerset or Devon, the dance was first practised as a pagan ritual by adults but eventually became a traditional seasonal game played by Minors. :wink::D :grin: :D

Yes. There must have been some photos taken in the past of maypoles. Come on algy,

we await in eager anticipation. :wink::D

Sorry folks no old photos of Maypoles in the Warrington area but here's one I found in an old book, some right dodgy birds around this Maypole though. :wink::D :grin:

ScreenShot003.jpg

Don't they still dance around a may pole in Appleton Thorn during the 'Bawming of the Thorn' every year ? I'm sure I remember seeing pics of local kids doing it.

I could be wrong though and I've not got time to google but saying that I'm sure that that is in June.......... but that's not far from May <_<

Don't they still dance around a may pole in Appleton Thorn during the 'Bawming of the Thorn' every year ? I'm sure I remember seeing pics of local kids doing it.

I could be wrong though and I've not got time to google but saying that I'm sure that that is in June.......... but that's not far from May <_<

Dizz, do you mean this one, when I replied previously saying I didn't have any local old photos of dancing around the maypole i never associated "Bawming the thorn" with the maypole, although looking at the photo it does look as if they danced around the tree, perhaps someone from Appleton could enlighten us.

BawmingtheThornAppleton.jpg

As sarky as usual today eh Cleo :P:lol:

I know they are bawming a tree but I'm sure there used to be a maypole involved too. Perhaps it was to do with Stretton and not Appleton Thorn....

Bugger this is going to frustrate me now.