Teenage pregnancies

wolfie

How do you know their we're not exceptional circumstances Peter, you are judging on what you see, not on the facts. Councils have to take these into account, Is there a history of violence in the house or a drug problem ect, without knowing all these and what criteria has been used its easy. But you do not. It is easy to criticise when you do not have all the facts, you can make your own up to fill in the gaps.

Perhaps I read it in the Mail.!! (Joke).

When you get involved in the Community in all sorts of ways, you learn what really goes on in the world. Real life in the land of the poor, is not about box ticking. It is about people trying to get away with as much as they can and do as little as possible in return.

I "know" of several examples, so don't accuse me of making it up. You might also be surprised to know, that some people have council flats and don't live in them.

One guy was living in Wales and used the flat as a postal address. But of course, you will think I am making it all up. As Chairman of a local residents association for a number of years, you learn an awful lot as to what goes on in the "real world". NO rose tinted specs there.

You could be right Peter, but I to was involved in community's , probably looking at it from a different angle, though CAB eyes, who have a duty to help who ever comes though the door. It is very easy to critise councils for giving council houses out, but they have to work with what central government lay down. Councils Do not give council houses out willy billy. Contrary to the belief of many people on here. Having a baby does not get you to the top of the list, councils have to take other factors into consideration as well. As you would probably no with your work in the community. Their is alot of ignorance around that needs addressing when it comes to how people get housing. Being Polish and having a baby at 16 does not get you to the top of the list.

I fully agree, but until Governments, councils et al do something positive instead of paying lip service to problems, the gaps of information will be filled in by rumour/innuendo or jealousy.

CAB do an excellent job, with the lack of resources and man power, but like all things that work and are beneficial to the needy, they are not supported as well as they could be.

Perhaps some of those millions that go in Foreign aid or to Europe could be utilised in getting this country back to a decent standard.

There is (or used to be) a statutory duty on LAs to house "homeless" people, this may have been for a finite period in Council property; but with Housing Benefit public or private sector rents could be then paid by the claimants. Hence the problem in London, where high rents have meant high HB payments. The more kids - the more child allowance too - so a career choice for many young girls today. :wink:

Obs how do you house someone, if there are no houses to put them in, as I say I can not speak for Warrington, but Wigan had a 3 year waiting list for council housing. I would have thought Warrington to be about the same or worse.We are not building social housing. We would rather build town houses as we can maximise profit on the land.

Obs, with comments like that you are just showing your lack of knoledge or any info, people can end up in bedsits for years. Being in a bedsit does not keep you at the top of the list. Once in one you move down the list as you have accommodation.

teenage pregnancies are caused by the sluts that are getting younger and younger why? because of what we see on tv all the stuff on the news internet and what their friends know and the biggest cause peer pressure not because the government are trying to educate them to prevent this and for pharmacies to offer these young girls the pill does help because it stops the worry for them to go doctors and talk to parents about it.

People need to start opening up and seeing things from their perspective and stop having the view that everything they do is wrong, you were all young once and you all must have done stuff that you regret.

Obs, if you look hard enough you will find exceptions, someone who knows how to play the system, but they remain a minority as you well know.

In Liverpool they were given the rule book at birth on how to play the system. It now seems to have spread to Warrington.

Kije, if every person knows of just ONE case, that is one hell of a lot of cases.

I think my " preconceptions" if that's what you want to call them, Are more acurate that your narrow view, as I have some experience as I have met many through the CAB. Their are always exceptions some people can play the system, or know people in the system who help them out. It is sad that its those people who are the exception that you like to hold up and say the whole system is crap, I can only imagine when you tried to be a councillor you did it from a position of great ignorance, and it is small wonder you failed. It would have been funny though had you got elected and one of these single mothers came to seek your help. I would have been funny to have listened in on that conversation.

teenage pregnancies are caused by the sluts that are getting younger and younger why? because of what we see on tv all the stuff on the news internet and what their friends know and the biggest cause peer pressure not because the government are trying to educate them to prevent this and for pharmacies to offer these young girls the pill does help because it stops the worry for them to go doctors and talk to parents about it.

People need to start opening up and seeing things from their perspective and stop having the view that everything they do is wrong, you were all young once and you all must have done stuff that you regret.

I was young once and maybe i did do some things that I later regretted BUT I never did anything as drastic as getting pregnant before I was married and, for what it is worth, neither was I 'easy' enough to indulge in sexual activities before I was married! :huh::roll:

Nope, you need to take your blinkers off and see all, instead of what you wish to see :wink:

What I do find worrying in your posts is symptomatic of today's acceptance of the problems.

50 years ago getting pregnant was out of wedlock was just about the worst thing that could happen to young girls. These days, it is seen as being ok.

Where has the moral fibre gone that made this a respected country?

If the figure of pregnant girls 10 years ago was 1% and now it is 5/10% things are worse.

I think you will find that obs is nearer the mark than you are.

50 years ago some of the girls might have ended up in a Psychiatric hospital, where they might have stayed for the rest of their lives, their children Would have been taken into care and been deported to Australia or Canada, and some would have been abused their, infact court cases are still going though about it. We were no better a treating teenage pregnancies then Peter. It was just out of site. Winwick and Prestwich hospitals used to have wards with women that had kids out of wedlock and had become institutionalised. As most things in the past it was kept behind closed doors. Out of site is not necessarily better.