8. Stockton Heath Area.

algy

London Rd.

StocktonHeathLondonRdlookingtowardsthevillage.jpg

BedfordSt. about 1885/90

StocktonHeathlookingupBedfordSt.jpg

Navvies excavating under the Swing Bridge.

StocktonHeathNavviesexcavatingundertheSwingBridge.jpg

StocktonHeathNorthwichRdswingbridge.jpg

St Thomas's C of E School Headmasters house to the right of the Church

StocktonHeathSaintThomassChurch.jpg

The roof of St Thomas's C of E school to the right of the Church.

StocktonHeathStThomassChurchSchoolextremeright.jpg

The old Police Station.

StocktonHeaththeoldPoliceStationVictoriaSquare.jpg

Stockton Heath, the original Chester Rd. (now Whitefield Rd.)

StocktonheaththeoriginalChesterRdnowWhitefieldRd.jpg

StocktonHeathVictoriaSquaretheoldPoliceStation.jpg

Walton Rd, signpost to Lower Walton, Higher Walton & Stretton.

StocktonHeathWaltonRdsignposttoLowerWaltonHigherWaltonStretton.jpg

Love the one of the Navvies, gives a real sense of scale of the works they undertook.

Those men wore no safety ropes or harness with at least a twenty fool drop beneath them, unfortunately Tracey, life held little value in those times.

Just trying to catch up on all the pictures and info so apologies Algy if you think I am suddenly uninterested in your wonderful photo's these days. Time to read and view them all but not much time to post replies. I have had my shackles removed for a little while though so here goes.... :D

Re the photo of the navvies... it amazes me how they are just seemingly standing there working away on such steep and loose soily slopes with nothing to hold them there or indeed to hold onto. They must have either had very good balance or boots with 6ft spikes on the soles which we can't see.

Part of me wishes we could go back to the time of all these old photo's as the main roads in Stockton Heath looks, and all the others, look lovely and very tranquil with people just wandering about in streets.

Guess the same can be said for all areas though.

I never knew that Whitefield Road was the Old Chester Road... DURH :oops:

Re the picture of the old Police Station... are all the people sat on benches around a tree which appear to be in the middle of the road or is it just my eyes. The horse and cart to the left of them and somewhat behind the level of the seating area made me wonder ..... soz

Just trying to catch up on all the pictures and info so apologies Algy if you think I am suddenly uninterested in your wonderful photo's these days. Time to read and view them all but not much time to post replies. I have had my shackles removed for a little while though so here goes.... :D

Re the photo of the navvies... it amazes me how they are just seemingly standing there working away on such steep and loose soily slopes with nothing to hold them there or indeed to hold onto. They must have either had very good balance or boots with 6ft spikes on the soles which we can't see.

Part of me wishes we could go back to the time of all these old photo's as the main roads in Stockton Heath looks, and all the others, look lovely and very tranquil with people just wandering about in streets.

Guess the same can be said for all areas though.

I never knew that Whitefield Road was the Old Chester Road... DURH :oops:

Re the picture of the old Police Station... are all the people sat on benches around a tree which appear to be in the middle of the road or is it just my eyes. The horse and cart to the left of them and somewhat behind the level of the seating area made me wonder ..... soz

I never knew that Whitefield road was Chester road either until I found the photo with that title on it, I suppose sometimes we rely on the knowledge and accuracy of the person that titled it, how I would check that one out I'm not sure, I have looked on 'Old Map' and nothing on there. :unsure:

Picture 5:

How old would this be?

Reason for asking is that the old houses on the main rd next to the medical centre are not there and I thought they looked pretty old.

Peter no later than 1920, I attended St. Thomas's school 1950 and I don't remember the headmasters house being there, could have been but probably at that age I never noticed it. :unsure: