Vent shafts, why?

middlec

These vent shafts are on a part of the Trans Pennine trail that runs from Morrison's to Chester Road,

alongside the ship canal. The shafts are on a small section just past the cottages, near to the wharf where the old Walton Locks are. No-one appears to know why they are there. Was there undergound pollution here which causes a gas build up? Most folk only remember a section of the Mersey used to be here until the 1950's then it was filled in, and can't see why that would cause a problem requiring ventilation.

220412Ventshafts.jpg

220412VentpipesalongtrailtoChesterRd.jpg

I remember my mum telling me why the had been put there but for the life of I can't remember exactly what she said now.

It was definatly for the release of underground gasses to stop a build up of pressure. Whether the gasses are actually from the old canal bed and the dredgings it was filles with I can't remember. Was the canal perhaps filled in with other rubbish too and then covered over <_<

My other half says he's sure they are for the release of underground methane gases but he knows nothing more either, sorry

These vent shafts are on a part of the Trans Pennine trail that runs from Morrison's to Chester Road,

alongside the ship canal. The shafts are on a small section just past the cottages, near to the wharf where the old Walton Locks are. No-one appears to know why they are there. Was there undergound pollution here which causes a gas build up? Most folk only remember a section of the Mersey used to be here until the 1950's then it was filled in, and can't see why that would cause a problem requiring ventilation.

220412Ventshafts.jpg

220412VentpipesalongtrailtoChesterRd.jpg

I believe they are methane gas extraction fans to allow the release of pressure from whatever is causing the build up from underground, Methane can be produced by mud containing rotted vegetation/waste and can be an ideal source for producing the gas, also when this section of the river was filled in all types of rubbish would have been used, don't forget in those days there was little to no controll as to where waste was tipped

This explanation is from a site called 'How Stuff Works'.

Methane Collection System

Bacteria in the landfill break down the trash in the absence of oxygen (anaerobic) because the landfill is airtight. A by product of this anaerobic breakdown is landfill gas, which contains approximately 50 percent methane and 50 percent carbon dioxide with small amounts of nitrogen and oxygen. This presents a hazard because the methane can explode and/or burn. So, the landfill gas must be removed. To do this, a series of pipes are embedded within the landfill to collect the gas. In some landfills, this gas is vented or burned.

I believe they are methane gas extraction fans to allow the release of pressure from whatever is causing the build up from underground, Methane can be produced by mud containing rotted vegetation/waste and can be an ideal source for producing the gas, also when this section of the river was filled in all types of rubbish would have been used, don't forget in those days there was little to no controll as to where waste was tipped

This explanation is from a site called 'How Stuff Works'.

Methane Collection System

Bacteria in the landfill break down the trash in the absence of oxygen (anaerobic) because the landfill is airtight. A by product of this anaerobic breakdown is landfill gas, which contains approximately 50 percent methane and 50 percent carbon dioxide with small amounts of nitrogen and oxygen. This presents a hazard because the methane can explode and/or burn. So, the landfill gas must be removed. To do this, a series of pipes are embedded within the landfill to collect the gas. In some landfills, this gas is vented or burned.

Thanks algy. I assumed it would be methane, but couldn't find anyone who knew why it would be there. As you rightly say, rotting vegetation in the mud, or questionable landfill material used at the time, could cause it.

I shall pass on this explanation to those I knock into when next walking around this area.

You're all wrong! They are chimneys from the homes of the underground people! Lovely houses with all mod cons and push button controls on everything from the tv to waste disposal, even ambiance modes, which allows you to change decor, lighting, background mood music etc., etc., at the push of a button.

You're all wrong! They are chimneys from the homes of the underground people! Lovely houses with all mod cons and push button controls on everything from the tv to waste disposal, even ambiance modes, which allows you to change decor, lighting, background mood music etc., etc., at the push of a button.

Cleo have you been on the 'Abarka' again. :):D :grin: :D

I remember my mum telling me why the had been put there but for the life of I can't remember exactly what she said now.

It was definatly for the release of underground gasses to stop a build up of pressure. Whether the gasses are actually from the old canal bed and the dredgings it was filles with I can't remember. Was the canal perhaps filled in with other rubbish too and then covered over <_<

My other half says he's sure they are for the release of underground methane gases but he knows nothing more either, sorry

Thanks Diz. If you're mum was still with us she would have been the first person I would have asked! Algy has answered this too, and it's highly probable to be the landfill material that causes a build up of methane gas underground.

actually it is a secret government bunker or when everything goes pear shaped so our gallant councillors have somewhere to rule the world from.:twisted:

What do you reckon the chances are of convincing them to take to the bunker right now?

I'm sure we'd do one hell of a lot better without them!