3. Sankey Street Area & the Town Hall.

algy

Erecting new buildings in Sankey Street, the George Hotel used to be to the left of picture, it looks as if a new shop has replaced it, Holy trinity Church to the right with the Town Clock behind.

WarringtonSankeyStreetHolyTrinityChurch.jpg

Sankey Street with the old White Hart Inn in the left and Eustances clock hanging from the wall opposite.

WarringtonSankeyStreetEustancesclockupperright.jpg

The Town Hall in Bank Park complete with the 'Walker' fountain.

WarringtonTownhallGatesFountain.jpg

A later view minus the Fountain.

WarringtonTownhallGates.jpg

The entrance through Bank Park to the Town Hall.

WarringtonTownHallentrance.jpg

Warrington Bank Park Lake.

WarringtonBankParkLake.jpg

Warrington Bank Park Aviery.

WarringtonBankParkAviery.jpg

Warrington Bank Park Aquarium.

WarringtonBankParkAquarium.jpg

The Last of Sankey Street Area & the Town Hall.

Blinking heck! size of the wheels on that pram!

Used to love watching the monkeys in Bank Park (the ones in the cage). :D

How old was that clock over Eustances? Seems like it's been there forever! :blink:

Cleo they were the days when little lads were born with hair on their chests. :wink::D :grin:

Eustaces in 1871 were at No:2 Horsemarket Street, then in 1895 they were at 43 Sankey Street, where they were in between I don't know perhaps Dizz may be able to find out from the census's. I would have thought that the clock went on wall when they moved in to the shop or shortly after?. :unsure:

Looks like the one at Bank Park with the fencing around it and the greenhouse on the other side but we used to call it the duck pond, not lake.

Cleo & Baz, 'we' are sure it's in Bank Park it was called 'The Fish Pond' and situated at the north end of the park at the back/side of the old Infirmary, you can even see the greenhouses on the map.

1896 Map.

Townhallfishpond.jpg

I had my appendix out in the old infirmary!! But I never knew they had a duck pond in the back garden.... Is the land it covered still part of Bank Park now then?

I just had a look and seems it is. It where all the trees are at the back of the town hall as it backs onto Kendrick Street. (unsless they have chopped the trees down since google earthed it.

Algy's 'fish pond' is shown and named on the 1952 map too but seems to have gone by the 1963 map as that just shows trees so it wouldn't have been there when you had your appendix out Baz :wink:

Thanks Algy... I've learnt something new again :D

... but would they call it 'Park Lake' on the photo though if it was called 'The Fish Pond'...... just one of those little things that will now frustrate me Algy... please just ignore it :blink:

Any idea what is the big chimney is to the right of the greenhouse though as when I just looked at the old maps from the 1890's to 1960's there only seems seems to have been houses along Kendrick Street and round there ?

Any idea what is the big chimney is to the right of the greenhouse though as when I just looked at the old maps from the 1890's to 1960's there only seems seems to have been houses along Kendrick Street and round there ?

Could have been Bewsey Ropery Works in Bewsey Road, only a guess, after looking at the map I don't think the hospital boiler house would have had a chimney that size, anyway there isn't a structure that large attached to the hospital and as you say Dizz no other works in the close vicinity.

Have you seen my reply to you regarding Ackers Pit and the MSCanal?. :unsure:

I just had a look and seems it is. It where all the trees are at the back of the town hall as it backs onto Kendrick Street. (unsless they have chopped the trees down since google earthed it.

Algy's 'fish pond' is shown and named on the 1952 map too but seems to have gone by the 1963 map as that just shows trees so it wouldn't have been there when you had your appendix out Baz :wink:

Thanks Algy... I've learnt something new again :D

... but would they call it 'Park Lake' on the photo though if it was called 'The Fish Pond'...... just one of those little things that will now frustrate me Algy... please just ignore it :blink:

Already have done! :wink::D :grin: