MP3 Cutter

Cleopatra

if you mean something for editing sound files such as mp3 I used to have a program called goldwave that would let you edit and trim out bit you didn't want. it was good but you only had so many edits before you had to shut it down and restart it.

It is shareware and free to download and try. if you want to try it look for a site called downloads.com or possibly tucows.

Just went to download Mp3 cutter from download.com, Sid, and caught this warning -

(extract from page)

“every time you download software from Download.com, you can trust that we've tested it and found it to be adware-free.”

It is unbelievable and reprehensible that they can make these claims of being adware, malware, and spyware free at the same time as they are actually adding adware and malware to the packages they distribute! Here is an example from an installer screen added by CNET Download.com which (if the user isn't vigilant enough to catch the small print I've circled below and press the decline button) will infect their machine:

No Dizzy, I didn't circle anything. That was from a site I saw in the list of results when I typed in download.com while looking for the cutter. included below -

Download.com Caught Adding Malware to Nmap & Other Software

insecure.org/news/download-com-fiasco.html

cnet-bundles-nmap-with-malware-circled.png

It is bad enough when software authors include toolbars and other unwanted apps bundled with their software. But having Download.com insert such things into 3rd party installers is even more insidious. When users find their systems hosed (searches redirected, home pages changed, new hard-to-uninstall toolbars taking up space in their browser) after installing software, they are likely to blame the software authors. But in this case it is entirely Download.com's fault for infecting the installers! So while Download.com takes the payment for exploiting their user's trust and infecting the machines, it is the software authors who wrongly take the blame! Of course it is users who pay the ultimate price of having their systems infected just to make a few bucks for CNET.

They're even using the trojan for children's software such as the Kea Coloring Book! Have they no shame?

Phew, I don't think I'll worry about it anymore as I would have pressed decline anyway. I thought you meant CNET were secretly installing malware and changing other things Cleo. :oops:

I had Bing once and deleted it, I think it appeared after I installed my new printer so must have been part of the install disk.

It's easy enought to reset your default home page and default search engine choice and to get rid of unwanted programmes anyway though.

I guess some people don't bother to read what they are actually 'accpeting' though and as such they finish up with more than they bargained for and then question it later.

Silly buggers :lol:

Phew, I don't think I'll worry about it anymore as I would have pressed decline anyway. I thought you meant CNET were secretly installing malware and changing other things Cleo. :oops:

Apparantly that is just what they are doing Dizzy but they are wrapping them in 3rd party installers like hard to remove toolbars, msn etc., so that instead of being blamed for the malware etc., it's the software producers who are getting blamed.