1. Sankey Street Area & the Town Hall.

algy

1872. J.S.Cross's shop in Sankey Stree.t

1872CrosssshopinSankeyStreetWarrington.jpg

1895. 28th June. Frederick Monks presenting the new gates to the Town Hall.

189528thJuneFrederickMonkspresentingtheTownHallGates.jpg

1897. Warrington Walking Day parading past the Town hall.

1897WarringtonWalkingDay.jpg

c1900.The junction of Sankey Street and Legh Street.

1900ThejunctionofSankeyStreetLeghStreet.jpg

1900. The old Post Office on the corner of Sankey Street and Winmarleigh Street, built 1877, closed 1908.

1900theoldPostOfficeonthecornerofSankeyStreetWinmarleighStreetbuilt1877closed1908.jpg

1902. Sankey Street, bunting and flags flying to celebrate Edward VII coming to the throne .

1901SankeyStreet.jpg

1905. Sankey Street looking towards Market Gate.

1905SankeyStlookingtowardsMarketGate.jpg

1905. The Town Hall gates and fountain. The gates were made by Messrs Kershaw and Crook at the Coalbrookdale Company at Ironbridge, Shropshire, for the International Exhibition in London in 1862. The magnificent ornamental fountain immediately behind the gates, donated by the family of Sir Peter Walker (of Walker's Brewery) in 1899. The fountain was made by Walter McFarlane & Co. of Glasgow, unfortunately, along with the railings around Bank Park, the fountain was melted down and donated to the war effort in 1942

1905Townhallgatesfountain.jpg

1906. Prices Store in Sankey Street.

1906PricesStoreSankeyStreet.jpg

1907. Jan. 31st, The Queens Hotel, 26, Sankey Street.

1907Jan31sttheQueensHotelSankeyStreet.jpg

I love the first one too Tracey and whenever I see it I always wonder if the shop owners hung all their wares up on the building each morning and took them down each night. I guess they must have as I can't see them leaving them up all the time as they would have probably been pinched.

I also wonder what todays H&S bods would have made of it all if they had been around then. They certainly wouldn't have allowed it as a wack on the head by some of those items falling could have been rather painful to say the least <_<

I love the first one too Tracey and whenever I see it I always wonder if the shop owners hung all their wares up on the building each morning and took them down each night. I guess they must have as I can't see them leaving them up all the time as they would have probably been pinched.

I also wonder what todays H&S bods would have made of it all if they had been around then. They certainly wouldn't have allowed it as a wack on the head by some of those items falling could have been rather painful to say the least <_<

They did take down all items every evening before closing the shop, the following text is courtesy of Warrington Museum:-

Mr & Mrs Cross stand in front of their shop. Their grand-daughter Mrs. Bowcock recalled: 'All the goods were hung up every day then taken down again at night. I remember that grandfather never got dressed up - he always wore the clothes he wears in this picture. He lived to be over 80.

Thanks Algy and I am trying to refrain from saying that Mr Cross must have been a bit whiffly if he wore the same clothes shown in the picture until he was 80.

Opps, too late, I accidentally said it :oops::lol:

No harm meant of course and I'm only joking incase Mr Cross's grandaughter or any of his other relatives are reading. :oops:

It's a fantastic pic and it tells a very visual story of what times were like then for all the people, especially those trying to earn a living through their own businesses, just as all the others you share with us do.

Fascinating !!

It's the stuff that's been hung out from the upstairs windows that tickles me! We have a shop here that does similar, they have a little yard out at the front and every morning they wheel out shelves full of plants to form a perimeter and then fill in the middle with all kinds of junk I mean, precious things. Then every night it all goes back again. It must take about an hour every morning and evening.

It's the stuff that's been hung out from the upstairs windows that tickles me! We have a shop here that does similar, they have a little yard out at the front and every morning they wheel out shelves full of plants to form a perimeter and then fill in the middle with all kinds of junk I mean, precious things. Then every night it all goes back again. It must take about an hour every morning and evening.

Love it Tracey, we have a small general hardware shop in Latchford village and he does something similar.

Algy, did you know his Dad?

Was it his dad that had the hardware shop in Walton Rd Stockton Heath?. I can remember when the shop in Latchford sold army surplus bits and pieces, I used to go there for valves for our wireless many years ago.