4. Latchford & Knutsford Road.

algy

Burgess's paper shop by the railway bridge.

LatchfordBurgessspapershopbytherailwaybridge.jpg

Knutsford Road swing bridge, no houses been built on Thelwall New Road yet.

LatchfordKnutsfordRdswingbridge.jpg

The horse & trap rule with perhaps the occasional rumble of a tram passing by.

LatchfordKnutsfordRoad.jpg

The Plague House in Wash Lane, built in 1656.

LatchfordthePlagueHouseinWashLaneBuiltin1656.jpg

The Plague House in Wash Lane.

LatchfordthePlagueHouseinWashLane.jpg

1925. The old Black Bear Bridge.

LatchfordtheoldBlackBearBridge1925.jpg

A view from the Cantilever Bridge of the old Latchford Station.

LatchfordtheShipCanal.jpg

Preparing to test the Latchford High Level railway bridge by moving steam locomotives on to it and leaving the weight on the bridge for a calculated period, it must have passed the test as it is still standing today, although no longer in use. The cottage by the signals on the right was the railway crossing keepers cottage situated on the disused line that had been severed when the canal was built, (see two maps following).

LocomotivesTestingLatchfordRailwayBridge.jpg

Crossing Keepers Cottage prior to building the Canal.

1PreMSC.jpg

Site of the Crossing Keepers Cottage after the canal had been built.

2AfterMSCScreenShot005.jpg

I'm certainly not getting bored with them Algy... keem them coming, they are fantastic. :D

Re: the first photo...

Has anyone zoomed in and read some of the signs.. 'Girl lives as boy for 10 years'.... 'Warning, Murder, Reward'.... 'The £24 Million? Fraud' :shock: ... 'More Free trips to Wembly' . It would be great to read what some of these were actually about.

Any idea of the date of that one Algy as I know Warrington went to Wembley in 1933/34 but two of the signs also mention a 'Jubilee'.... was there one in that year :oops:

Re: the second one showing the 'Knutsford Road swing bridge' with 'no houses built on Thelwall New Road".

It was clearly an affluent area at the time when you see all large houses stood there with the open space. Not quite the same these days, although obviously some of those large houses still exist, but sadly they are now swamped and hemmed in by other modern day buildings are are no longer so noticable.

I'm certainly not getting bored with them Algy... keem them coming, they are fantastic. :D

Has anyone zoomed in and read some of the signs.. 'Girl lives as boy for 10 years'.... 'Warning, Murder, Reward'.... 'The £24 Million? Fraud' :shock: ... 'More Free trips to Wembly' . It would be great to read what some of these were actually about.

Any idea of the date of that one Algy as I know Warrington went to Wembley in 1933/34 but two of the signs also mention a 'Jubilee'.... was there one in that year :oops:

Re: the second one showing the 'Knutsford Road swing bridge' with 'no houses built on Thelwall New Road".

It was clearly an affluent area at the time when you see all large houses stood there with the open space. Not quite the same these days, although obviously some of those large houses still exist, but sadly they are now swamped and hemmed in by other modern day buildings are are no longer so noticable.

King George V had his Silver Jubilee in 1935.

Probably why they call it Latchford Without. :wink:

:lol::lol:

Have to admit though after posting my comment yesterday where I said they were now 'hemmed in by other modern day buildings are are no longer so noticable'....

I did actually look as we drove over the Knutsford Road swing bridge today from Latchford and I could see the house with the pointed turret in the distance which is shown on Algy's pic but then I noticed that all the newer houses not shown on the pic, but which are now closer to the canal, are quite large too.

I've never really looked at them before but I have now so Algy has once again made me open my eyes to what is usually right infront of me but I don't ever see :oops: Thanks for opeining my eyes Algy :D

The modern day crap is further up and/or on the other side of the canal :wink: